Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Ok I know the name of this plant but lets play a guessing game. Here is a picture of a plant that started to grow outside my bedroom window I thought it was a nice plant until one night.....

Any guesses?

[CENTER][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
I don't recognize it right off, but the picture is kinda small.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Here's a closer pic. Hint: euphemism for prostitute.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
I sure hope you didn't have your window open if strong smells get to you. I understand that "Lady of the Night" can be overpowering, but haven't had the pleasure of smelling one. I read about them in a book about southern plants but it only grows in fairly tropical conditions, an I still don't live far enough south for that.

The first picture would not have helped me figure it out, it was too small but the second picture of the flower plus the "hint" made it easy.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
It looks pretty - is it related to lilacs?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I sure hope you didn't have your window open if strong smells get to you. I understand that "Lady of the Night" can be overpowering, but haven't had the pleasure of smelling one. I read about them in a book about southern plants but it only grows in fairly tropical conditions, an I still don't live far enough south for that.

The first picture would not have helped me figure it out, it was too small but the second picture of the flower plus the "hint" made it easy.
BINGO!

Cestrum Nocturnum- Night blooming Jasmine, Lady of the night, Queen of the night. As my Grandma called it - Huele de Noche

I live in the central valley of California and some how one started growing outside my window, nature is wondrous. I let it grow to see what it turned out to be and then one night this summer BAM! I left the window open for some cool summer breezes and my whole house smelled like jasmine the next morning. I have kept it and just keep that side of the house closed at night. My neighbors have started making comments about sweet tropical smells at night up and down the street but can figure out whats causing it. LOL

Old 02-26-2023, 11:10 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Can we re-use this topic for more people who need plants identified?
The forum does not allow new topics created under the same title.

I have a tree in my side yard here in central Florida.
I need to know what type of tree it is.

Old 02-26-2023, 12:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post

It's hard to tell if it has any flowers in any stage of development on it. If it has some flowers on it then some shots of the flowers would be helpful for ID purposes. At a guess, the leaves look like some kind of citrus and by their colour and the amount of deadwood and the sparseness of living branches the tree is old and suffering from a nutrient deficiency.

Old 02-26-2023, 01:31 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Can we re-use this topic for more people who need plants identified?
The forum does not allow new topics created under the same title.

Take a twig with leaves and your photo to a local nursery. Someone there may be able to identify it. They may also know what you can do to improve its condition. Whatever it is, it's unhappy!

Old 02-26-2023, 02:26 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Darn i am late to party.It has tell -tale cestrum flowers and being white Night Blooming Jasmine would have been my guess.

I have orange cestrum. They flower continuously up till they get a hard freeze. Pollinators love it day and night. At night we get this big hummingbird moths on there.

I love cestrums. But unfortunately my red cestrum died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden