Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 02:39 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

SEATTLE—Fans of farmers' markets don't always agree on the fine points of what defines the folksy bazaars, but they concur on what farmers' markets aren't: chain grocery stores selling fruits and vegetables on their supermarket doorsteps.

Farmers and their supporters have spent several decades building "farmers' market" into a brand that signifies something specific to consumers, namely, locally grown produce fresh off the farm.

Copycat Farmers' Markets Reap a Crop of Complaints - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,300 times
i think it is a good thing to promote local grown product in chain grocery stores.Many farmers can not live off the income from farmer's market 1 or 2 days a week and may be only 3-4 months a year. the store should post the farmer name and it location and may be where the farmers sell their products at local farmer's market.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
"Quote from article":

"While applauding the sale of local produce in stores, farmers' market supporters say the main point is for farmers to sell freshly harvested goods directly to shoppers, which they say is more profitable than using stores and distributors as middlemen. Farmers generally earn money at markets, and the ones where they don't quickly disappear. Most markets charge a small fee to participate; a farmer's profit margin there is typically around 90%, compared with about 10% on sales to a supermarket. Farmers have to pay for transportation and other expenses when they sell at a market and take time away from the farm."

I'd rather buy fresh produce directly from the folks that grew it @ a Farmer's Market. It makes the community stronger and you don't have the markup.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:30 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623;16049144
[B
I'd rather buy fresh produce directly from the folks that grew it @ a Farmer's Market. It makes the community stronger and you don't have the markup.[/b]
We have a grocery store that sells local produce but I would much rather get it at the farmers market. Even though the stuff from the grocery store is local I know that the farmer uses chemical on his produce. I have a favorite vendor at the farmers market that I know uses nothing on his produce and the difference in taste is amazing. There are little bug marks on some of it but I can remove them easy enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden