Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Some people in my neighborhood took out trees because they thought it might fall on the house in the case a big windstorm. I have a couple of trees near my house that could pose the same danger. But I am not sure if these trees are necessarily a danger. If I get a tree remover to give an opinion, I feel he is going recommend removing them regardless because its extra money for him.

How can you tell if the tree needs to be taken down?
Have a tree surgeon examine the tree for health rather than someone who will profit from their removal.

If you have large limbs hanging over your house have these evaluated for trimming. Basically you never want to have any more than 20-25% of any limbs trimmed in a single calender year or the tree will likely suffer. Never have trees "topped".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Default Cornell Cooperative Extension

The Cornell Cooperative Extension is also a good source for information but they don't do on site tree examinations. They are mainly gardening, etc but some info on trees.

Gardening Resources, Cornell University

Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
In really high winds many types of trees can be blown over in high winds healthy or npot. Water oaks for example when the ground is soak have bery shallow rots and can fall form pretty moderate winds;especaily if not trimmed properly.Large limbs themselves can be damaged and weight alot goign thru a roof. If your going to have trees near the house its always best to have them properly trimmed. I say properly because not done right can start tree on the way to it dying.I have seen hundreds of tree that blew over that were healthy ;it just takes the right conditions.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:45 PM

416 posts, read 630,339 times
I'm pretty ignorant on this topic but I'd think that soil type has a rather large amount to do with it, such as loose or sandy soil being less likely to hold the tree.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We're new to the south, but we hear that the ubiquitous Bradford Pear trees start to split when they get old. So, we have several in our back yard which we will begin to prune this fall, in order to hopefully keep them from doing this.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 PM

82 posts, read 329,778 times
After reading all the replies, the word "arborist" stands out a lot. Not all arborists are experienced and not all are certified. It takes only 3 or 4 years of experience for them to take their exams. So you want an experienced arborist who may also be a certified arborist.

Because there are over a dozen factors that they have to look at and think about.

19 Signs of Hazard Trees

Who knows how many things they consider that are inconspicuous too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden