Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times

Advertisements

Some people in my neighborhood took out trees because they thought it might fall on the house in the case a big windstorm. I have a couple of trees near my house that could pose the same danger. But I am not sure if these trees are necessarily a danger. If I get a tree remover to give an opinion, I feel he is going recommend removing them regardless because its extra money for him.

How can you tell if the tree needs to be taken down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:14 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,266 times
You wait......and the ones that crash into your house.....well, they needed to be taken down.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
I had a tree company tell me the tree looks fine and doesn't need to come down, however even the healthiest tree (or branch) can come down in a storm. When it's time, it's time. If the wind or ice hits it the wrong way, it's done. If it's a danger to the house and you're losing sleep over it, take it down. I am mixed because as much as it worries me, it is really helpful for summer shade and it's an old tree that I hate to destroy. I'd also hate for it to land in my bedroom some stormy night so I must decide soon. I will wait til the leaves drop. Tree services usually charge less in the winter since the job is easier (no leaves) and they are hungrier for work since there is less landscape work available.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM

513 posts, read 837,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
How can you tell if the tree needs to be taken down?
Speak to an honest arborist.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 AM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Look for a certified and honest arborist and make it clear you just want an opinion. If the tree is showings signs of rot at the base or early loss of leaves that could be an indication of a problem.

Most of the trees that came down from Gloria and the storm last march were trees that bordered on pavement, curbside, etc that may have had their roots cut back. I have seen people take down perfectly healthy 100 year oak trees that was totally unnecessary. There are expert companies around, bartlett, etc.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Someone experienced with trees in your area can advise you. Some trees that are healthy and do not have a compromised root area will hold up to the wind even if they are 200 years old while other varieties may pose a risk after 20 years.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM

451 posts, read 999,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Someone experienced with trees in your area can advise you. Some trees that are healthy and do not have a compromised root area will hold up to the wind even if they are 200 years old while other varieties may pose a risk after 20 years.

WJFM - you won't find better advice than this one quoted here and the one above it.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,650 times
No one, not even a certified arborist can guarantee that trees will not topple at any give time, ANY tree close to any house naturally poses a threat and should be regarded as such at all times.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
No one, not even a certified arborist can guarantee that trees will not topple at any give time, ANY tree close to any house naturally poses a threat and should be regarded as such at all times.
If a tree is 100 years old chances are that it has been a threat for awhile and survived a few hurricanes and adverse weather events. There are many things that can be considered a threat but some are not worth worrying about. I wouldn't look for guarantees on anything in life.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
As an alternative to taking down the tree entirely, you could have a certified arborist do extensive thinning. Not topping, which is a terrible practice. Have them go thru and remove any questionable limbs and maybe a few more. But first have them determine whether or not the tree is structurally sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden