Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,874,745 times

Advertisements

We have an ornamental pine (two needle, needles about 2" long) that has been quite healthy in the past 10 years, however last year to a slight degree, and this summer to a far greater extent, it has suffered inner needle die-off. Needles gone completely brown by late summer. BTW, by "inner" needles I mean those needles closer to the main stem on any given branch, but oddly the outer quarter of all needles on any given branch are quite OK, or at least seem to be. Dark green, tough and not able to be easily removed. The dead ones are quite dead, light tan/brown and they easily fall off if that branch is even lightly shaken. Even a brisk wind knocks them off.

Meantime, this spring, the tree produced new pine cones and lots of pollen. It looks like it's dying from the inside, and close to the main stem there are large collections of dead needles.

We are located in central Washington State, north of Yakima, in the inner sage/scrub community, but in a well irrigated valley. Our entire garden is sub-irrigated by the shallow water table. Long warm summers, and cool falls.

Anyone have any ideas? BTW, this does not look like the infamous and epidemic mountain pine bark beetle that has decimated the wild pines and otgher conifers in our mountainous areas. There are other pines in the area that are seemingly healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,683,742 times
Not sure you should be so fast to discount the pine beetle possibility just because there are other pines around surviving.

Animated Map: Mountain Pine Beetle in WA
Forest Health - Western Pine Beetle - WSU - NRS EXT

Last edited by azoria; 10-11-2010 at 10:58 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 AM

955 posts, read 4,073,484 times
It is normal for pines to lose interior needles. If this past year was especially stressful - hot and dry in particular, pines tend to lose more needles. A picture would be helpful.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,539,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
It is normal for pines to lose interior needles. If this past year was especially stressful - hot and dry in particular, pines tend to lose more needles. A picture would be helpful.
I agree with Rtom...we have several varieties of 2 and 3 needle "pine",
and all varieties show needle yellowing/drop at this time of year. Most
pines tend to shed their older/oldest needles first.

Not wishing you a diseases or bug; I suspect it's normal, and a good
close-in pic would really help, along with the variety of pine.
GL, mD

Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 PM

23,530 posts, read 69,951,025 times
Might be an idea to check soil pH as well.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
I had a white pine tree die and the arborist told me it got too much water in that particular spot and drowned.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Wow! OK: I'll try to get a pic ASAP. Meantime, thx for the responses!

Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Here's two pix. More following Pine death!  Whazz happ'nin?-dead-needles.jpg

Pine death!  Whazz happ'nin?-cone-diseased-pine.jpg

Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Default More pine pix.

Two more pix.

Pine death!  Whazz happ'nin?-pine-view.jpg

Pine death!  Whazz happ'nin?-diseased-pine-1.jpg

Any new ideas?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,539,532 times
Thanks for the pics; it helps, sort of... ;>)

Since no one has taken a stab, I will.
Hard to diagnose from afar: I wish I could say it was standard 2nd/3rd year needle drop,
but it appears too extreme for that normal needle turning and dropping, imo. Since that tree
is not young or new, it could be some severe situ you had this growing season, or it could
be naemacyclus, but hellsbells, that's just a guess from the back row of the peanut gallery,
and based on some Web reading.

The Yin and Yang...
Information on Yellow Pine Tree Needles | Garden Guides

See 2nd link down, the "master gardener Document, from Oklahoma", as I couldn't copy the Word doc and didn't want to C&P the entire article
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=2nd...8&fr=yfp-t-701

My 50Cts...hope your tree(s) survive and by this time next season it is just a crummy memory.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden