Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM

44 posts, read 189,772 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with having sod installed in November in Houston area or other southern regions?

I bought my (new) house last year and had issues with the sod in the back yard. It was installed about 6 weeks before we moved in and apparently never got watered by the landscaper / builder. We have been having problems with dead spots & other stuff all year and the builder finally agreed to replace all the sod. The PM called me and wanted to replace it next week. I am concerned about it being installed this late in the year when the sod is dormant. The new sod would be down for 3-4 months before the next growing season starts. Is this a concern?

Also, who knows what is in the sod they are going to rip out. I don't want the bugs & weeds to take hold before the grass starts growing. Should I force the builder to wait until spring, after things come alive & green again? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Do you know what kind of sod your getting?

Find out who the grass grower is and call them.

If its a big growing outfit they probably have a web site with lots of product info.

I would imagine its not a big deal if they build and landscape other houses through the winter in your area.

Oh make sure the landscaper regrades the lawn area after ripping up the sod. You could end up with lots of divets and uneven spots. Check it before they toss the first roll. If your current sod has laid down any roots you will at least need the area raked with a grading rake. Good time to also make sure the trenches for the sprinkler lines were jetted and compacted correctly. Production home landscapers are pushed very hard by the builders to finish as they are usually the last trade on a house. On thing that some times happens is that the trenches for the sprinkler lines and drain lines don't get compacted 100% and you get low spots from air pockets settling over time as water filters down through the ground. You can get some real ankle busters. Also the area around utility boxes (sewer clean-outs, water main shut off, cable and telephone boxes) can also drop even worse as the trenches and holes excavated for those can be five to six feet deep.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 11-12-2010 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,296,644 times
You may be getting left overs if your area is going into the dry season, like we are here, in sw florida.
We see lawns put in before it gets really hot, but at the start of the rainy season, May-June.
Plus water daily.
I could be wrong, but that's how it is here. LUCK to ya!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylosonatural View Post
I called Chrio Outdoor Services. They are really good and they are the cheapest around but the best quality at the same time. Around this time of year grass doesnt look as green because I think they say it goes 'dormant' but it's still the best time to get it in because it is not too hot right now and it rains alot right now so you dont have to run up your water bill with the sprinklers on all the time. So even though grass looks not so green and maybe even yellowish right now it's not dead and by time the spring rolls back around you will have a great looking green yard like I do. I went with the St Augustine grass, but they told me about some other ones they have too. Give them a call at 832.438.7496 and you can ask for someone named Rodrigo. Tell them that Ms June sent you. God bless.
I agree with this post.

New sod will be an effective barrier to Dallis grass, crabgrass, dandelions and other weeds over winter and the sod will have time to "weld" before the sun starts baking it in about May.

I think this time of year is probably better than summer although March would probably be ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden