Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 AM

476 posts, read 1,297,333 times

Advertisements

Wow I can't believe it. I have 6 hanging petunia baskets on my front porch and those flowers are still blooming. It's crazy. I'm in NC and the temps here have been in the 30s some nights, 40s most nights, and I thought those flowers would be long gone by now but they just keep on blooming. They were the AquaLok brand hanging baskets from Home Depot - turned out to be a good investment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,296,644 times
Congrats! That's great! (They like cooler temps than the "dog days" of summer, but those are cool temps.) I'm glad they're still there for you to enjoy. I remember the gray days of late autumn & winter and how important the colors are to lift up the doldrums.
((HINT...Pics would bring a smile to many here))

We have a plant called "Mexican Petunia" that grows about 3" and speads in the ground in "clumps", which grows as a perrenial. But we also have the petunias everyone up north knows & likes, but wilt in the heat. The mexican petunias bloom perpetually, but each bloom only lasts 1 day, then drops off. And only comes in 1 color (that I've seen, anyway).

Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,520,520 times
My sister, also in NC, has some deep purple petunias who are blooming like crazy. Enjoy while you can!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,157,384 times
I am surprised that mine are still alive, but not blooming anymore, this late in the season. I am in eastern Kansas, & hoping that he ones I have will be able to go to seed before dying. Looks like the snow is going to miss us, so there still may be hope!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Our impatiens are still blooming. The ones closest to the house. We've had several frosts that took out marigolds and dahlias and the few remaining flowers that we let in and didn't clean out. I think a good killing frost is about 25 degrees or so and we haven't had that yet in SE Pa. So its the impatiens and the chrysanthemums and a few straggling snapdragons who seem to hang around all winter and bloom off and on when it gets warm.
The winter blooming pansies we put in have done nothing, though. What a waste. I like trying to keep plants blooming as long as possible. Its the thought of defying the season change I guess.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
My lamium and pansies are still blooming...
I have NO idea why as it has been quite cold here in SW PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden