Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 AM

713 posts, read 3,437,829 times

Advertisements

I am planning on growing some wheat next year and would like to know where I can purchase some seeds.

Looking to make my own bread so I will be making my own flour as well so this should be a fun and interesting experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 02:30 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
If you're anywhere close to an agricultural area where wheat is grown commercially, then you'll have lots of suppliers and choices of varieties. Check your local yellow pages for "seed dealers".

If you're not close to an area where wheat is grown commercially, then check with your local county extension office to find out if they know of a local seed dealer who may have what your need.

Otherwise, you're looking at having some seed shipped in. Wheat doesn't take too many pounds of seed per acre, so if you're planting a small plot, it's feasible to have a box shipped UPS or FEDEX from a seed dealer.

Best to have a seeder to plant this seed, it's not easy to hand sow. We use a 15' wide seeder to cover our acreage ... but if you're just planting a small plot, use one of the small push-type seeders you can get from a gardening supply house, or from a place like Lehman's. You definitely want to drill this seed into the ground, not simply broadcast it onto the surface. A well prepared plot is also essential for a good crop.

I don't know if I'd call small scale wheat farming a "fun and interesting experience" ... you still have to harvest the wheat at the right moisture content, then thresh it to get the wheat separated. While that's been done by hand before combines were invented, it's a lot of hard hand labor. Grinding and milling it isn't too tough to do, even by hand ... and the freshly ground flour is the best for bread making. You'll need to raise a high gluten variety wheat for best results.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-22-2010 at 02:45 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 06:46 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
An excellent seed supplier is Albert Lea Seed located in Minnesota .
They have a whole page on shipping anywhere and in any quantities.

Also, they have an excellent catalog.
I have purchased a lot of seed from them and they always find the cheapest way to send it.
Welcome to Albert Lea Seed

Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the replies

Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
You could also check at an organic foods store.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:21 PM

Also do any of you guys know how to grow yeast? I am trying to make bread the old fashion way and I know you can make a very bad tasting kind with just flour and water.

Also how did people make yeast last in the past? Without a way to freeze the yeast would you need to feed it every day or just make a fresh batch when needed?

Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 AM

Well I found a video showing how to make as much yeast as you need. Simply put raisins in a jar with spring water and in a week drain the fruit and add the yeast to what ever you need

Now I need to buy raisin seeds to grow raisins along side my wheat. Well grape seeds really

Last edited by rgomez912; 10-23-2010 at 01:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden