Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times

Advertisements

I've got five or six baby Hosta's that are growing in pots that I started from some root stock that I purchased late in the season for a dollar each. They're really little - an inch or less each. They're really tiny, just getting started. I brought them in tonight because it's almost freezing at night right now.

My question is what to do with them right now to keep them alive over winter ????

Do you think I can overwinter them inside and plant them in the spring?

I don't want to kill them...

Any hosta experts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 04:10 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

My question is what to do with them right now to keep them alive over winter ????
Put them in the ground. Tomorrow. Outside.

They should be fine. I've seen hostas at a latitued of 55N survive winter in the ground, frozen for months and under several feet of snow. That's approximately the latitude of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I'll bet you're well south of anything like Calgary.

Your hostas are more likely to be weather damaged in a pot than in the ground. Plant them.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Mine are all in the ground too...
plant yours now.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the answers.... but, they're so little!

I was actually considering keeping them inside under lights until Spring planting since they're just developing foliage... I overwinter my geraniums and some other stuff.

I wonder what would happen if they didn't have the first cold season and I let them develop all winter inside ???

Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
Deer love Hosta so don't get so attached to them

Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 PM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Actually hosta are very difficult to kill. One good sized plant can be divided into many. So rather than starting tiny ones, just get a good one established and then you'll have hosta for life.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
I agree with Hollytree. Hostas are tougher than they look!

My husband once accidentally spilled some chemical from his deck cleaner and sealant all over my baby hostas that lined up on the side of our deck. He claimed he didn't know that he's supposed to cover the plants around the deck before he started working on it. The chemical practically 'fried' my baby hostas to crispy brown and I almost cried when I saw them. So I trimmed all the fried leaves and left them be; then a week or so later they bounced back with new leaves. I was so relieved...!!

They're really one of the best plants you can have, very low maintenance and tough.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:57 PM

Thanks. I'm wanting to get an entire area under a tree in front of the house filled in with them.

So far I've got 12 established plants.

I may try overwintering these 5 tiny little things inside with my geraniums.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:22 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,775,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Thanks for the answers.... but, they're so little!

I was actually considering keeping them inside under lights until Spring planting since they're just developing foliage... I overwinter my geraniums and some other stuff.

I wonder what would happen if they didn't have the first cold season and I let them develop all winter inside ???
I too have wanted to baby some of the babies I've had [grew a few by seed one year]

BUT -- Hostas NEED to go thru that cold cycle.

You'll notice, you rarely see hostas in the south. From what i've read - they do not survive in or above zone9.

Something about 40 days below 40degrees.

they are very hardy COLD weather plants.

I know a gal in TX who will store them in her frig or freezer until she can ship them to me in the spring.

i've also read with perennials, it takes about 6 weeks to get roots established, not sure how that goes with hostas too.

Hopefully - your area is not getting ready to freeze yet.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:13 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I vote for plant them! Last year I moved hostas in Nov., some were quite small, they looked great this summer!

They were on the east side of my house (sunny - previous owner) I put them under some pine trees on the north side of my backyard I was amazed at how big they got!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden