Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM

70 posts, read 210,336 times

Advertisements

They aren't very large, these tiny grey bugs alllll over my broccoli and brussel sprouts. They don't move, I thought maybe they were dead. That was until I brought the broccoli inside and noticed they had crawled all over.

Its very frustrating because it is getting near freezing here in CT at night and this is the last of my harvest. What does anyone recommend is the best way to rid the broccoli of tiny bug infestation once brought inside?

Before, I rinsed them off...wrapped in wet paper towel then put in a ziploc in the fridge until I was ready to prepare. Once opening them again, tons of little bugs were all over the paper towels. When i looked closer, they were still on stems of plant. Even after I tried to pick them all off...after I cooked them, I found even more. This is gross. I'm all about growing my own food, but this is frustrating. How do the grocery stores do it? Pesticide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:18 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
We had that happen last year. I soaked the veggies and that helped a little bit. It was impossible to get them all off. We had cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower that were over taken by those little grey bugs. We went to the local nursery and they had an organic spray that worked wonders. This year we had no problems.

The grocery stores get their produce from large scale growers that use pesticide ALOT.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM

70 posts, read 210,336 times
OoOoOh, I will try to soak them. The first year that I did my garden (last year) I used some spray safe for vegetables on my squash and other things, but did not do that this year. Seems like I will need to make some improvements for next year (third year).

Thanks for responding!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
I learn something new every year also. My garden is VERY different this year then just 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden