Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 154,350 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some tips on establishing English ivy over a large area of our yard. Our neighbors have lots of ivy and offered to let me transplant much of theirs. Many houses in our Durham neighborhood have large beautiful areas of ivy on their properties, and at the rate I've been transplanting ivy it feels like it will take me forever to get the same density.

So far I've transplanted many long strips that I pulled from neighbor's yards. Would I be better off cutting the long sections into smaller sections before planting?

Has anyone else here established a large area of ivy - and if so, how long did it take to get a dense patch going?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM

8 posts, read 40,270 times
There is a saying about ivy.........."The first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, the third year it leaps". I planted just 2 sprigs to cover under my deck, and after 5 years, the entire area was covered and it was "leaping" up the foundation and siding. I actually had to pull it off the house! So that being said, ivy is prolific once it takes root !

Old 11-12-2010, 10:57 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,072 times
It's a lot easier to establish than to get rid of.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 40,270 times
That is a very true statement!!!!!! It does tend to take over!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFtpt View Post
I'm looking for some tips on establishing English ivy over a large area of our yard. Our neighbors have lots of ivy and offered to let me transplant much of theirs. Many houses in our Durham neighborhood have large beautiful areas of ivy on their properties, and at the rate I've been transplanting ivy it feels like it will take me forever to get the same density.

So far I've transplanted many long strips that I pulled from neighbor's yards. Would I be better off cutting the long sections into smaller sections before planting?

Has anyone else here established a large area of ivy - and if so, how long did it take to get a dense patch going?
We don't know where you are, but in some states English Ivy is classified as a noxious invasive weed.

That should serve as a warning to you.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
I keep a bottle of commercial strength roundup available just in case that crap pops up in my yard. Who ever brought it to this country I hope their family is cursed. JUST KIDDING about the curse part. I do hate that nasty English weed though.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Be careful where you plant it, it can take over and does cause damage to house siding, fences, etc. I would limit it to ground cover areas and under tree canopies. I planted it along a cedar fence and later removed it because it was causing too much damage to the fence.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 154,350 times
Thanks for the info, everybody.

We're putting it in a relatively safe place, bordered on one side by our driveway and the other sides by a wooded lot which is already filled with ivy.

It hasn't been too much trouble keeping the ivy off the trees... just have to periodically snip the vines climbing up the trees. It's a small price to pay for having a lush, low-maintenance ground cover for a good-sized section of our yard.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:11 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
That snakes like to hide in......just sayin.....

You can come to my yard and take all you want. I am trying to rent some goats to get rid of it in the back part of the property, which is largely woods. Now that the ivy has moved in, I worry about the snakes hiding there....since we live in an area of Raleigh know as "copperhead alley".

Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I concur do not do it...unless you're in England. I found out that Virginia crreeper is an "invasive" species in the UK, so I guess we paid them back for the ivy! Unlike our native vines, Ivy will go MAD in your yard and climb and kill any tree it can reach.

I would recommend planting Virginia Creeper instead, although I have planted ivy in the past (in a window box, thank god) before I found out how evil it was. VC can even climb all over your house and look pretty without destroying the structure of the house.

Virginia creeper can spread around as much as ivy and is a great ground cover and erosion protection. I can vouch for that because I killed a bunch before I found out it was native! It also climbs on trellises, homes and trees. Better yet, VC doesn't have roots that will destroy brick or kill trees and shrubs like ivy will.

Shame on your neighbors for "offering" to give you the ivy. I am not in favor if making things "illegal" but since you now know, I think you should do the right thing and not plant anymore outside. Here's some information about ivy (hedera helix): PCA Alien Plant Working Group - English Ivy (Hedera helix)

I've seen too many large trees dying by the roadside in seemingly healthy areas because of ivy, and if you ever see how big the "trunk" or root or whatever it grows can get, you'll be scared. Do your trees a favor and Just Say No to the free ivy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden