U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM

1,076 posts, read 4,211,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Houses View Post
In order to help with the squirrel problem I would add about a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to about 10 pounds of seed. The birds don't have a problem with the cayenne but the squirrels will shy away from it once they get a taste.

My local birdies are ok with it but test it out on a small batch first just in case.This may help keep them from ransacking your bird houses.
Looking at bird feeders a few years ago, a woman gave me the same tip.

Tried it and the birds didn't seem to mind and no squirrels. just crows!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,670,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
How can I keep squirrels off my bird feeder? I tried foil, but didn't even slow them down.
Good grief, let theM eat, they dont eat that mucH, and their antics are fun to waTCH.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,125,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Good grief, let theM eat, they dont eat that mucH, and their antics are fun to waTCH.
When it comes to bird feeders, yes they do. They hog the entire feeder, and birds aren't able to get on it. They can go through seed unbelievably fast.

I feed the squirrels separately, using food I throw on the ground for them, and birds that also feed off the ground. You can also get squirrel bungees, which are entertaining to watch.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 PM

16,255 posts, read 23,812,442 times
Quote:
How can I keep squirrels off my bird feeder? I tried foil, but didn't even slow them down.
I went to Home Depot and got an electric fence box and made the pole "hot" and grounded the feeder under the bottom so that when a squirrel climbs the pole and claws on top of the hot wire on the pole and puts his snout on the feeder he gets zapped! Keeps the cats away too!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM

16,255 posts, read 23,812,442 times
This will work too:

YouTube - Stopping squirrels from eating at the bird feeder

Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 20,150 times
Default Bird Feed v. Squirrels v. Cayenne Pepper

The past few days I have been running an experiment to verify or not whether Cayenne Pepper deters squirrels from eating bird seed. As of 06/08/09, I have not found any change in squirrel behavior when Cayenne Pepper was mixed with the individual piles of seed types.

Would appreciate anyone's comments on their personal experience with Cayenne Pepper as to repelling squirrels.

Cheers,
Harry "Gipper" Morris

Last edited by Rance; 06-09-2009 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: No advertising websites please

Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM

11 posts, read 20,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Houses View Post
In order to help with the squirrel problem I would add about a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to about 10 pounds of seed. The birds don't have a problem with the cayenne but the squirrels will shy away from it once they get a taste.

My local birdies are ok with it but test it out on a small batch first just in case.This may help keep them from ransacking your bird houses.
Reply_______________
A little late replying to this post, but the point remains current and future. I've tried Cayenne Pepper and my birds and my squirrels seem to think its just a delicious addition to the diet.

Facts are, I added 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper to 4-tbsp seed. The seed were Millet, Milo, and Black Oil Sunflower seed. A week later the bird population significantly dropped off. Squirrel population remained steady.

So, I suspended the use of CP and after two weeks, the bird population is now increasing.

What I've started doing is placing BOS seed which squirrels particularly like at two strategic locations. The squirrels go there most of time and leaves the other seeds for the birds. The current problem is the birds now go to the BOS reserved for the squirrels.
Cheers,
Harry "Gipper" Morris

Old 10-02-2009, 10:43 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,670,483 times
Let them eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What harm will it do?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM

4,523 posts, read 8,005,940 times
Quote:
Obviously the squirrels have an identity problem. Please take them to see a psychiatrist. It may be that they're acting out on a problem that stemmed from their childhood, perhaps their mother or father didn't pay enough attention to them.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,086 times
The seed tube is generous in height, making it impossible for squirrels to hang down from the top and reach seed. The four feeding ports are easily accessible via the perch ring, and the interior of the chamber is designed to direct seed into the seed ports. Birds will not set it off, not even larger species like Woodpeckers and Cardinals. But the minute a squirrel hops on to the perch, the motor is triggered and the feeder begins spinning, taking the squirrel for a whirl before it loses its grip and is thrown gently from the perch. Droll Yankee Flipper Bird Feeder

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden