Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was this post pictures and videos usefull to you
Very usefull 0 0%
Usefull 0 0%
Not usefull 0 0%
Worthless 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 PM

32 posts, read 120,322 times

Advertisements

I am new to gardening and I have followed the sq ft gardening method in attempting to establish a perfect vegetable garden. However I have taken it to a couple of levels higher when I built a 28" high 5 ft wide by 16 ft long raised cinder block bed filled with 10” of pea gravel and 18” of compost, Dakota peat and vermiculite. I am presently building a 15x24 hoop house with 6mil clear plastic over it to protect my investment from hail, wind, rain, sun, deer, rabbits and weeds. I have posted how to videos on YouTube about how I did what I did if it helps anyone else. You may watch the videos at the following YouTube links. This is ongoing until I am completely finished with my large project. Please share it with other that might be interested in finding some help.

[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO ONE OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GNU_0TRwA

[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO TWO OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeJO5wvJb2Y

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO THREE OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSZ4aAB5RU

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO FOUR OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0gD107Z1xA

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house VIDEO FIVE OF FIVE[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5nLF_SpK6M

Laszlo Zone 7b

Attached Thumbnails
Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house-40-2ft-4-inches-high-raised   Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house-41-finished-5ft-11inches-15ft-11inches   Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house-09-starting-take-form-once-i   Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house-10-little-closer-look.jpg   Raised bed garden using cinder blocks and hoop house-11-better-view-foundation-being-level  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,891 times
Are you planning to leave the hoop house up during the summer? It looks like you have a very nice garden going in. Congrats.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Without watching all that stuff, is there a liner? I don't think cinder blocks are any good for a raised garden because they suck the moisture right out of the garden. And, your soil mixture is such that even here in Ohio, in Aug you be standing next to that garden 24/7 with a hose.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Yes I plan on leaving the hoop house up in the summer with ventillation and open on both ends screened-in. Thank you for the compiment.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Wilson, I made sure that I have a plastic liner which I cover in my videos. You are absolutely correct, the cinder blocks would such the water right out of the ground just like weeds do away from plants. Thanks for the thought.

Laszlo

Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Good. I like that hoop house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden