Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,390,451 times

Advertisements

Last summer for the first time I tried growing just two tomato plants.
I did start a little late, around late April early May but figured it's Florida so I didnt have to worry about frost untill abut Thanksgiving. Bear in mind I didnt have any type guide or buy a book so I was winging this.

I planted them in a mix of topsoil and miracle grow potting soil, Florida topsoil is mostly sand. Watered Daily because of the heat and once every two weeks used Miracle grow Tomato food mixed with water as package Directions. Here were my problems..
I planted one big boy and one Beefsteak.

I planted them as directed and put tomato cages around them, and they grew and grew and then grew some more. They would produce fruit but the fruit never got to be any larger then my closed fist and never got red.

They grew to well over 7 feet tall Lifted the cages out of the ground so I ended up needing 1x1's to hold them up. It was like Jack and the Beanstalk come to life..

I ended up having to cut off branches to keep them from taking over my truck in the driveway the rest sheer mass took care of for me..

So what did I do or not do wrong?? I thought I planted them too late to begin with because of the heat here, so I figure thats why they didnt produce fruit like they should have and should have I cut or trimmed them to keep them somewhat lower to the ground?

I finally had to cut them down when I started to fear they would eventually swallow up the entire house..that was in early July...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,535,472 times
Even though tomatos are heavy feeders IMO you fertilized too much. Take more time this year to prepare the soil. Get some regular old dirt and mix in a couple bags of organic compost. I would cut the fertilizing down to once a month. Hopefully your tomatos were in full sun for most of the day.

Good luck this year.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,353,308 times
Definitely too much fertilizer!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,390,451 times
They were in full sun the entire day just about, it's hard to escape where my house is facing.
I had no idea that too much of a fertilizer was a bad thing.. I know now.
They did make for alot of laughs from the neighbors who were waiting for them to take over.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM

44,556 posts, read 61,289,505 times
It sounds like you over fertilized, also your plants may not have gotten pollenated. Big Boys and Beefstakes take about 70-90 days for maturity.
Also indeterminate plants ,tomatos (vinelike growth) grow out further and are slower to produce than determinate (bushlike) tomatos.
Heres a guide to aid you.Beefsteak Tomato Seeds and Plants - Brandy Boy Hybrid, Vegetable Seeds at Burpee.com

Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,567,490 times
The hardest thing for me was to step away from the tomatoes, but when I finally ignored them and let them do their thing, they grew a lot better. I would plant a little earlier because once it gets too hot they don't tend to set fruit very well--maybe March--and then like the others have said fertilize a little less often. If you have a tendency to over water like I do, a good trick is not to water until you see the leaves start to droop just a little, or when you can stick your finger down in the dirt a bit and it's dry. If the plant looks happy as a clam, it's hard, but you should try to leave it alone :-).

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,808,504 times
Last year I had three, 60 feet long, rows of tomatos, they over-produced as my normally do. I kinda hate to mention this because I don't know if I can accurately describe the process, but, I ALWAYS pinch the suckers off of the plant, it gives a much heavier yield. Sucker -------when a tomato plant Y's off, a large portion of the time a small sprout will appear in the "Y", pinch it off, it is just sapping the strength out of your plant, they produce much better when suckered. (maybe that should read "de-suckered"). Oh yeah, another good thing to do is to mulch your tomato plants with your grass clippings, shades the roots and helps prevent the moisture in the soil from evaporating off. I will mulch the entire row of tomatos at least 8 inches deep.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,875,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I ALWAYS pinch the suckers off of the plant, it gives a much heavier yield. Sucker -------when a tomato plant Y's off, a large portion of the time a small sprout will appear in the "Y", pinch it off, it is just sapping the strength out of your plant
Another thing to do is to pinch off a few tomato 'buds', so with less tomatoes to grow, the ones remained get more nutrient and will grow bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden