U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM

133 posts, read 600,279 times

Advertisements

I came across a fantastic article on cutting gardens that really inspired me to include one in my garden plans this year. It mainly consists of Zinnias and Sunflowers which were in my plans already but also added Celosia and Ageratum and the bouquet pictures are so gorgeous I have visions of cut flowers decorating my home and office all summer.

Does anyone have any good cutting garden resources? I looked at my local library and couldn't find a single book that focused on cutting gardens. I'm interested in books, websites, anything really.

Here was the site that spurred my inspiration:
http://www.thegardenersworkshop.com/...enMagazine.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,271,849 times
I've always wanted to have more plants for cutting. This past year I had two kinds of gladioli that added to what I could bring in for vases. As to good books and articles there are lots of them out there but most seem like a tease, don't they?

If you hunt around a bit you may find looking for a specific garden type will help with finding on line articles. Examples might be a perennial plant cutting garden or an annual plant cutting garden:

Plant a Perennial Cutting Garden

An Annual Cutting Garden

Annual Cutting Garden

Grow a Colorful Cutting Garden - Hobby Farms

I've also noticed some plant and seed catalogs (and nurseries) will have plants for cutting listed. An example:
Catalog Extras: Flowers | Johnny's Selected Seeds, Winslow, Maine

I'm hoping someone comes up with a recommendation -there are a few listed for sale on Amazon but I'm never sure of the reviews you read there. Great topic, though!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM

3,442 posts, read 6,113,513 times
There is a gardening magazine called Garden Gate that always seems to have great ideas.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 AM

32,524 posts, read 34,348,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
There is a gardening magazine called Garden Gate that always seems to have great ideas.
Yes! Hit your neighborhood magazine counter! With Spring coming all the specialized gardening magazines will be coming out and you'll get wonderful ideas.

I had a cutting garden for years. I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to go out and cut flowers for my home and office and have them to give to friends. I had lots and lots of rose bushes as well. And geraniums. Do not forget the smaller-sized flowers for tiny bouquets in a small space.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM

899 posts, read 2,772,270 times
The garden that I spend one morning a week volunteering at show cases what we as oregon gardeners can and do in our yard and gardens..Because of this we have a large cutting garden, it has snapdragon, cosomos, dalhila's , yarrow in numerous colors , glads in lots of colors, lily's, marigolds , peony's, zinnia's, cockscomb,sunflowers of every color and just about any other flower, we want to plant in there..we make bouquets for our gift and and just enjoy it and wild life who visit it..Our little ground squirrels, will climb the sunflowers and eat the seeds..Its fun to work in and just nice to enjoy in late summer..
good luck

Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 AM

38,226 posts, read 68,155,799 times
Daisies, coneflower, blanketflower, black-eyed susans -- they all make nice cut flowers, and last a long time in a vase.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 PM

15 posts, read 153,908 times
what a good idea!!! fresh flowers are smell really nice also it's cool decor to any room
well, I've heard a good feedback about this book The Cutting Garden: Growing and Arranging Garden Flowers

The Cutting Garden: Growing and Arranging Garden Flowers: Amazon.co.uk: Sarah Raven, Pia Tryde: Books

Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,867,315 times
I'm new to this forum but am a long time avid gardener. For perennials, I love heliopsis, phlox and agastache. All are long blooming, great for cut flowers and provide mid summer - fall color. The phlox is most spectacular in summer but will rebloom if cut back.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 AM

43,979 posts, read 54,827,906 times
The secret is to choose plants to span the summer. At my old house I had a huge bed of daylillies which bloomed at different times, and were in a range of colors, so while each flower does not last a long time, overall I had flowers for a couple of months.
Also, I found that hostas, both the leaves and the flower, last a long time in a vase and the leaves are so varied and interesting. Ferns hold up well in a vase for filler. Anemone is pretty and it's about the last thing to flower in August/September. Echinacea and rudbeckia are very easy to grow in full sun and come in a range of colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden