Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 12:34 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,475 times

Advertisements

Hi - we have just built a home between 2 other homes. We would like some privacy with plants, but not something rigid such as a row of leylands down each side of the property. On each side of the yard I would like something tall like leylands, maybe for 20 feet, but on either side of the leylands I would like to transition into shorter trees/shrubs so it does not look like a formal wall. Has anyone done a row of greenery down their property lines and achieved a more natural look? I am in the piedmont of North Carolina, there is about 15 feet between the side of my house and the property line and one side gets southern sun almost all day, the other side has a lot more shade to it. Would love any sites to look at, any ideas you have. Thanks bunches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Before you plant Leyland Cypress, know the drawbacks:
1. The trees grow up to 50 feet tall
2. The roots are shallow and the branches are soft so damage from snow and falling over may be an issue...if there's a chance they can fall on the house and car and cause damage.
3. The trees live only about 10-30 years. If you end up keeping the house that long, you could end up w/ very big brown trees.

You can still plant them, but know the drawbacks. Loblolly pine and white pine also grow fast, but have longer lifespans and are a little sturdier. But they're not as dense or as fast-growing (IMO) as Leylands.

The plants you use depend on the type of soil you have... If you want to plant deciduous plants on the eastern/southern part of the property... Maybe gingko, red maple... for pretty fall colors and serviceberry, nannyberry, ilex glabra etc for the understory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden