U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 12:34 PM

363 posts, read 1,778,467 times

Advertisements

Hello. I planted a whole bunch of Xmas Palms in my backyard to hide an apartment building behind my fence. Anyway, they have grown so high that I am beginning to see the building again...yikes! I never should have planted them. They are probably too big to be removed, so I was thinking of planting Eureka Palms just behing the XMas palms, as Eurekas( what I should have planted) do not grow as tall and will do the trick. I only have about 2 feet from the Xmas palm to the fence. Any tips, suggestions, ideas...please help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,393 times
plant some 3 gal Varigated arbicolas underneath the x-mas palms this will give you more privacy and more color at the same time

Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,783,536 times
...If you are looking to stay with palms,there are several smaller species you could incorporate in between the adonidias (x-mass palms..)

These include: several species of Chamaedorea including Chamaedorea metallica which grows to around 6-9 feet tall,Chamaedorea microspadix ( hardy bamboo palm) a clustering species similar to Arecas ( Dypsis lutescens) but rarely gets any taller then about 12 feet tall..

Acouple other possible canidates include the pygmy date palm which stays below 12 feet and the common lady palm..which while slower growing,stays around 12 tall as well..and is also a clumping type palm..

Other plants you might look into include canna lilies, butterfly,kahili or even some of the more tropical ginger species (Heliconia);Alocasia species or any number of flowering shrubs and perhaps a couple Crotons or combinations of these mixed in between the Adonidias

The only thing id advise, If you decided to add in Areca palms, they too can get up to 20+ feet tall down in your area and because they are also a clump forming species, can get quite dense if not periodically thinned and can become a nice home for some not so welcome guests..

With the 2 feet of space between the x-mass palms and your fence, you have many choices in what you might add in to help create a privacy barrier between you and your neighbors..the trick is to look for plants which wont get overly wide..and are easily maintained..

Last edited by si33; 01-07-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden