U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM

2,031 posts, read 5,215,080 times

Advertisements

Hi
We have lots of crab grass and perennial weeds(eg chickweed and wild strawberry) in our lawn.

In the fall I aerated, overseeded with a mix of fescue and rye and fertilised.

The rye germinated late fall and is starting to grow again now.
It didn't seem to germinate in the areas were there was dead crabgrass, despite aerating.

Question-when should I apply the crab grass preventer plus I assume that I do that first and then fertilise a few weeks later?

Am hoping the fescue will germinate otherwise I am paving over the whole lawn
Thanks!

Meant to say the lawn was fertilised twice last year (in addition to the ferilisation after overseeding), plus iron in the Summer and lime at some point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,626,975 times
Whatsthenews,
You don't state where you are, so I am going to have to guess that you are in a cold zone since you are seeding rye and fescue.
Was it perennial rye or annual?
If you have intentions of reseeding again this spring, you don't really want to
put down weed killer or a preemergent, because your seeds won't grow in that.
Don't put any more lime or chemicals on your lawn unless you had your soil tested
and the results indicated you should do that.
If I were you, I would seed after the frost with the grass you want, fescue right?
Water every day for 2 weeks, then every other day for an additional week, and taper off,
when the grass is 2 inches high, mow it.
Then water so that your grass receives 1 inch of water a week, at one time.
Get a water measurer grom HD to make sure your grass gets an inch a week.
Mow 2 inches until the weather is in the high 80's, then let it go to 3 inches
before you mow it.
This watering and mowing routine will help a great deal with your weeds.
It's all about competion. When your fescue shades out the sun of the weeds, they can't grow.
When you have the grass you want, then apply preemergent to your lawn.
The most important thing is watering and mowing.
Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Actually in North Carolina-nr Charlotte!

I seeded with rye because I wanted some lawn over the winter as house is for sale.
I think it was annual but not really sure
I know it is a cool season grass and will die around May.

I didn't really intend to overseed again, but if haven't sold and fescue doesn't come through then may have to.
Pain as we have almost half an acre of lawn.

Knowing I'm not in a cold zone now , does you advice change?

If I'm not going to overseed (I was under the impression that overseeding in the Spring doesn't work here-everyone does it in the fall), when should I put on pre emergent?

Yes- folks have recommended a soil test, but others here just say we have acidic soil.

Thanks for your advice

Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 PM

9,727 posts, read 20,038,264 times
I can't answer your question, but I feel for you. I've got crabgrass in my lawn too (Wyoming). The experts say I'm supposed to use the crabgrass preventer stuff in February. But they don't tell me how I'm supposed to get it down under FOUR FEET of snow!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM

27,971 posts, read 37,381,001 times
I look for a ground temperature of 40 degree to apply. It should be applied as a pre-emergant... before the weeds show up.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM

9,727 posts, read 20,038,264 times
Thanks SD. I'll try that. I'm afraid I have awhile to wait....

Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM

27,971 posts, read 37,381,001 times
Usually in these parts I apply it mid April.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:05 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,153,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I can't answer your question, but I feel for you. I've got crabgrass in my lawn too (Wyoming). The experts say I'm supposed to use the crabgrass preventer stuff in February. But they don't tell me how I'm supposed to get it down under FOUR FEET of snow!
Lol! I usually put down my pre-emergent/fertilizer combination around 3/15. With over 3 feet of compacted snow I don't think that I'll see my lawn until April this year. Oh yeah, BTW, it's supposed to be in the single digits tonight with wind chills below zero due to strong gusts.

Come on spring!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
LOL- that must be wrong unless the crabgrass is active under the snow.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I look for a ground temperature of 40 degree to apply. It should be applied as a pre-emergant... before the weeds show up.
OK- so once there is no more frost?
Our ground doesn't really freeze much below the surface when there's a ground frost, and that will be gone usually by afternoon as most days are sunny and above freezing.Plus very dry air.

I notice that chickweed and wild strawberry never seem to die!
Certainly we have them now, but we are starting to get days in the 50s/60s but then back down into the 40s again, with some nights still below freezing.

I desperately don't want to be too late in putting it on.
I'm on a mission this year to get rid of the stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden