Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
They like you? On the bright side, it sounds like there's no HOA where you live? Whoopty DOO.

hmm... I agree that even "fast-growing" plants grow too slowly to provide instant privacy.

If you're in the desert(?) I bet plants grow even more slowly... How about just putting up a fence? You'll need to get a permit and there's probably going to be a hearing in case your neighbors complain.

In my experience, people normally ignore permit notices, so you may be able to put up the fence unhindered.

I suggest getting some quotes from fence companies. They'll also handle the permit, and should be able to get the special permission you may need for such a high fence.
No HOA. And there is a limit as to how high you can go and it sure isn't 14 feet. No, I think I am stuck planting. I already have three Cyprus and they are mature but I can get 9 ft ones and am told they grow fast. I am still investigating. Part of things are what is available in the nurseries and price and if they'll work in a hard soil. But I know the cyprus will for sure. I'd love to do all pine trees but it's taken seven years just for one to grow tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Don't know where you live but if you are in the right climate zone, Italian cypress will make a nice privacy shrub. If you buy several Italian cypresses in 5 gallon buckets and plant them close together--no more than 15 inches apart--they will grow to make a very dense privacy shrub. If you top them off when they get high enough, they will continue to fill out laterally and give you an even denser privacy shrub.
Yes, this sounds good, but I wonder how tall I can get them in five gallon containers and how fast they'll grow. I really want something that will grow fast. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Have you contacted your local zoning department to see if they even have permits to do what you say they are doing. They could be in deep doo doo if they are trying to circumvent the system. It's possible that they would need a variance and if so you'd have the right to protest at the zoning/variance/meeting.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Have you contacted your local zoning department to see if they even have permits to do what you say they are doing. They could be in deep doo doo if they are trying to circumvent the system. It's possible that they would need a variance and if so you'd have the right to protest at the zoning/variance/meeting.
Yes, I have. The only thing that has changed for the worst is where they are building their patio, but it's all within code. They had no permit on file to do the wall.

My best solution is just to plant fast growing "something" on my side since they can build so close to the fence. I am thinking that lots of cyprus might be the way to go. Oleander could be an option, but too slow growing. Sour orange shrub was also mentioned to me, but cannot find here. So the willow shrub or the cyprus seem to be my best alternatives. I may even have the existing oleaders taken out or one more planted to block the view or maybe take down or rebuild the little gazebo area and plant cyprus where the oleader were. Then I'd have a solid line of cyprus. Yeah, pricy, but what can I say. I'd hate to take out the palm tree, as it will be perfect at some point, but that point is a long ways down the road. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
If you have pets in your yard, be aware that oleander is very toxic.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
If you have pets in your yard, be aware that oleander is very toxic.
Thanks, the nursery told me that today.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:21 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
If you don't select something carefully you are going to hate it in time. There are a lot of things that grow fast, look good for a few years, then start looking bad or tear of concrete. Willows, ash and camphor trees are just a few people plant for a quick screen and end up hating after a few years.

Photinia is a good choice for a shrub/hedge. If you have the room and are in the right climate Coastal Redwood makes a fair screen and is very attractive. You aren't going to have an immediate screen, but over the long term it will be one of the best options as far as trees go, and their roots don't break up concrete either.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Oleanders are only toxic when burning the leaves. Animals will avoid the plant since they can smell that the plant is non edible and if they should accidentally bite into one and try to ingest it they immediately spit out. It is rare that any animal has suffered or died from oleanders.
Standard Oleanders can be made to grow extremely fast by adding Superthrive to your watering cycle. You can get a one gallon oleander to grow up to 8 feet in one season easily with Super Thive.
Thgough you must remember one thing, the faster any plant grows the shorter it's life span. White flower varieties grow the quickest.

If there is no permit for the fence the inspector could make them take it down. If it's up when he makes the final inspection on the house, and he notices it, it will become a problem for the owner. You need to keep in regular contact with the inspectors office and make him aware of any changes or issues.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:18 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
I love my bamboo. It doesn't happen over night but when it gets going it will shoot 20 feet in two weeks. No maintenance unlike the grasses. Here is a photo of what used to be my neighbor's ugly fence and intrusive patio:

Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Oleanders are only toxic when burning the leaves. Animals will avoid the plant since they can smell that the plant is non edible and if they should accidentally bite into one and try to ingest it they immediately spit out. It is rare that any animal has suffered or died from oleanders.
Standard Oleanders can be made to grow extremely fast by adding Superthrive to your watering cycle. You can get a one gallon oleander to grow up to 8 feet in one season easily with Super Thive.
Thgough you must remember one thing, the faster any plant grows the shorter it's life span. White flower varieties grow the quickest.

If there is no permit for the fence the inspector could make them take it down. If it's up when he makes the final inspection on the house, and he notices it, it will become a problem for the owner. You need to keep in regular contact with the inspectors office and make him aware of any changes or issues.
Thanks so much for the tip on the Oleanders. Maybe that is what I'll go with. I'll add that Superthrive too.

As far as the inspector noticing it, I've already called the city to ask questions about it and the inspector will be out there on Monday. Since I pointed it out, I am sure he'll notice it. I do hope no fine will be levied against the property owner. I so wish I had a guy to handle all these issues for me. And I sure wish the owner had made his intentions clear to me. Tomorrow, if I see the contractor, I am going to let him know it's a problem.

There are so many trees to choose from. When you say shorter life span, can I ask what you mean exactly and how many years? I've had oleanders in the back and my experience is they grow straigt up with a trunk and bushy at the tap. I would want something like my other oleaders that grow bushy but grow high and those do not. Guess it's a question for the nursery.

I really wish I was not having to do this, but I am thinking privacy and resell value here. Appreciate your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden