Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,042,101 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this will work or not but here's a link to some photos I just uploaded to an album here at City-Data. I took some photos recently of plants, shrubs and trees in my yard, my neighborhood and nearby neighborhoods. Spring is my favorite time of year because it's such a feast for my eyes!

Spring 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM

44,256 posts, read 19,919,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Strokin' View Post
Being from the south I never really knew the "real" meaning of cabin fever meant until we moved to Indiana. I am a avid garden and yard person. I have been walking on the ceiling waiting for just a glimpse of spring. Alas....TODAY!!! I was ready to lasso the sun and pull him up this morning. 69 glorious degrees today...The yard is still a little soggy from all the rain and melted snow but not sloshy.
I saw my first little yellow crocus (I almost cried! LOL!) Then the dogs and I went out to the pond and the frogs were awake and leaping off the bank. The goldfish were cruising around and we also saw a couple bluegill. Got several chores done and soaked up every bit of sunshine I could. The dogs enjoyed it to the fullest too. Can we do this again tomorrow? Ehhhhh its iffy...60 degrees and 20-25 mph wind gusts...will see....Just bring on the sunshine....
Love all the flower pictures...keep them coming...
Sounds like a heavenly day you had yesterday, PS! I love it when the frogs start chirping in the spring. We had similar weather in NW Indiana yesterday. Much cooler today, and starting on Sunday, they're predicting rain on and off for at least 7 days.

My tulips and daffodils are a couple inchest high, and the daylilies are just starting to push little green tips up from the soil. Haven't seen any hyacinths yet, but they should start poking up any day. I'm lovin' it!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I don't know if this will work or not but here's a link to some photos I just uploaded to an album here at City-Data. I took some photos recently of plants, shrubs and trees in my yard, my neighborhood and nearby neighborhoods. Spring is my favorite time of year because it's such a feast for my eyes!

Spring 2011
It did work, Lily. Beautiful pics! Looks like you're about a month ahead of us. My forsythia isn't blooming yet.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM

142 posts, read 412,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Sounds like a heavenly day you had yesterday, PS! I love it when the frogs start chirping in the spring. We had similar weather in NW Indiana yesterday. Much cooler today, and starting on Sunday, they're predicting rain on and off for at least 7 days.

My tulips and daffodils are a couple inchest high, and the daylilies are just starting to push little green tips up from the soil. Haven't seen any hyacinths yet, but they should start poking up any day. I'm lovin' it!
It was much cooler here today also and the wind was really kicking. The sun was trying to stay out but the clouds were winning that battle. The dogs and I ran out for a quick walk and many more crocus were blooming today. No frogs today and I also heard the "weather guesser" rambling on about that rain too. I sure hope it does not turn into all the rain we got last year which seemed like days on in for two or three months..I gotta have at least 4 good months of gardening to bear the winter...

Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 AM

14,284 posts, read 14,522,716 times
Thanks everyone for the gorgeous photos, great hearing about Spring! NE Wisconsin still some snow on the ground! I was going to start a post asking for photos, but saw this one started, a very good thing!

There is hope though, some lily plants poking through and wild crocus plant are up but no flowers yet. They will bloom with snow on the ground.

Funny thing is pachysandra someone gave me last year to fill in bare places, north side of my lawn by a fence, never died off, green as can be and so are my clumps of sea grass. I think being so close to Lake Michigan, even though we get frost, different situation than inland!

I'm thinking Spring!

Last edited by susancruzs; 03-19-2011 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: paragraph for easier reading

Old 03-19-2011, 11:49 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,042,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
....I'm thinking Spring!
Me too! And my lilies are starting to come up! I'm happy!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 PM

290 posts, read 634,544 times
"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar."
-- Helen Hayes

Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 PM

My hyacinths started coming up today. Just starting to poke out of the ground. I removed the mulch from the rest of my flower beds. All sorts of yellow-green sprouts are appearing. We had a nice, sunny day to help everything green up. I'm surprised that my forsythia bushes aren't even budding yet, though. Usually, they're the first to bud. What's up with that?

Anyway, because the sun was out, I got some better shots of my snowdrops today.....

Snowdrops are so beautiful, but few people know what they really look like. Because they are only about 3" tall, you have to get down on the ground to see their tiny faces. Aren't they lovely?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 PM

340 posts, read 1,441,527 times
Here in San Antonio we're averaging daytime temps in the low 80's and nightime in the low 60's. Oak trees are starting to get leaves back and the wildflowers are a bloom. Best time of year!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,516,388 times
I envy all of you that have early spring. Here in mid-Maine there is just a "hint" of it so far. Tulips in a sunny spot in my yard are up about an inch, and I have one lonely crocus blooming. I am seeing evidence of the Iris too. Later today they are predicting 3 to 6 inches of snow. I am predicting it will melt quickly. This has been one of the snowyest winters on record here. Our very first storm of the season left us with 17 inches. Spring will be extra appreciated this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden