Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times

Advertisements

I'm not handy with pictures (don't know how to upload them onto here!) but when driving around this evening (it was in the low 70s yesterday and today) -- realized things have "popped". Daffs are now blooming (not mine - but other people's) -- forsythia is gorgeous.

Don't worry - we're to have quite a bit of rain tomorrow with chance of flurries on Thursday morning. The weekend is to be back in the '40s.

That's all right... Spring is here!!! Puxatawney got it right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Looking like spring here in extreme northeast Tennessee! (@ 1200 ft). Taken yesterday (March 22) - temperature was a nice 79° when these were taken.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Looking like spring here in extreme northeast Tennessee! (@ 1200 ft). Taken yesterday (March 22) - temperature was a nice 79° when these were taken.
Beautiful, TN! Looks like you're about a month ahead of us. I can't wait to see the flowering trees in their glory. The folks across the street from me have a beautiful magnolia and a tree whose name I don't know but which gets tiny, bright-purple flowers in the spring. Both are real show stoppers. I've got a forsythia which is pretty showy, but it's not even budding yet, which is unusual.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
These are some cherry tree blossoms that were white when I took this picture. Today, two days later, the whole tree is a very light, pale pink! I haven't taken a picture of the pink blossoms yet.
Hm... all I get is a red X on this post. Maybe a moderator can remove the post and I'll try again. Maybe I mismanaged my attachment? Going to try again.

This was taken when the blooms were white. Now they're a pretty, pale pink!

Last edited by LilyLady; 08-27-2014 at 02:55 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 03:28 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Wow, gorgeous! Great to look at on a day where I'm shoveling 8" of snow, just when I was able to see my whole lawn again! I told those darn lily plants they were peeking out too early!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Narcissus and Daffodiles bloomed about 3 weeks ago. Red bud trees, peach and plum buds have broken out all over. Tree's leaf buds are becoming visible and some trees are starting to leaf out. Grass is turning green here and temperatures swing between 60-80 degrees.

All this inspired me to go buy a bunch of plants for the yard yesterday. I bought Sago Palms, Iron Plants and Hostas for the shady north side of my south fence. Carolina Jessamine* vine for a fence. Ivy and Asparagus Ferns for two pots near the front door. Columbine and Dianthus to add to a sunny flower bed in front of our deck, and a pot of Bougainvillea for a corner on the deck.

Most of these plants will survive our winters and return year after year.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 AM

24,409 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Here in SE pa the forsythias( some anyway) were just showing some yellow so they should be blooming shortly. Last night we had a wicked thunder and lightning storm, hail and some snow. The spring bulbs are in full bloom at least. The mountains and trees are still brown with no signs of green and with this cold weather spell we'll have the next several days I don't expect any more greening.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Here in SE pa the forsythias( some anyway) were just showing some yellow so they should be blooming shortly. Last night we had a wicked thunder and lightning storm, hail and some snow. The spring bulbs are in full bloom at least. The mountains and trees are still brown with no signs of green and with this cold weather spell we'll have the next several days I don't expect any more greening.
and here in NW AR we are just getting teased; I think I will soon scream!!! Our forsythias are in full bloom, the dogwoods are starting and many of the trees are now green. In fact we didn't have as many blossoms as usual. We are seeing days in the mid to high 70s which means the garden is saying, get me ready for spring please, then the next day it is 50 and the nights at about freezing>

Nita

Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM

142 posts, read 413,540 times
Will someone PLEASE tell Spring we sure do need him here Indiana. Temps in the 30's today, dusting of snow last night...
This poor ole Georgia girl is struggling to survive...The next southerner that dials my phone to tell me its 70+ degrees is going to get a house guest that may not leave!!!!!!! Don't know if I can make it as a Hoosier....

Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Default Not again!

They're forecasting snow/wintry mix for us on Sunday! Not again!!!
I was just getting used to spring, and the beautiful flowers, and trees budding out , darn it!

Maybe it won't be too bad. A dusting of snow would be okay. Makes me want to get out in the yard tomorrow with hammer and wood and build boxes to cover the new plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden