U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM

428 posts, read 1,574,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Narcissus and Daffodiles bloomed about 3 weeks ago. Red bud trees, peach and plum buds have broken out all over. Tree's leaf buds are becoming visible and some trees are starting to leaf out. Grass is turning green here and temperatures swing between 60-80 degrees.

All this inspired me to go buy a bunch of plants for the yard yesterday. I bought Sago Palms, Iron Plants and Hostas for the shady north side of my south fence. Carolina Jessamine* vine for a fence. Ivy and Asparagus Ferns for two pots near the front door. Columbine and Dianthus to add to a sunny flower bed in front of our deck, and a pot of Bougainvillea for a corner on the deck.

Most of these plants will survive our winters and return year after year.

So this lovely plant is a Carolina Jessamine? Dave's Garden says its not hardy to zone 6. :-(
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 04:18 PM

428 posts, read 1,574,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Looking like spring here in extreme northeast Tennessee! (@ 1200 ft). Taken yesterday (March 22) - temperature was a nice 79° when these were taken.

Forgive me for being very much a beginner, but the pink trees are cherry blossoms, is that correct? And I've been seeing the yellow tree/bush around here and thought the tree variety of it would look really pretty planted next to a cherry blossom - what is it?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 11,351,428 times
Not sure which shrub you're speaking of - but depending on where you're at - a vibrant yellow shrub this time of year is probably some type of Forsythia. In the midwest (Cincinnati and North) its always one of the first shrubs to bloom and always blooms a vibrant gold yellow - before it puts out its tiny green leaves.

Pink trees are *possibly* cherry -- in my area the weeping cherries (tend to be white) are blooming now, but the upright cherries are not yet blooming. However plums, and crabapples are starting to bloom - and those can also be pink.

Fruit trees in general (cherries, apples, crabapples, plums, pears) are usually goregeous in the Spring - whether or not you plan to harvest any fruit.

We had a variety of crabapple at our house in Michigan that was fruit-less. The trees were bare root sticks about 2 feet tall when I planted them. When we moved out (8 years later) - the trees were about a 3" diameter trunk - about 7 feet tall, and so loaded with blooms in the Spring that the branches visibly sagged under the weight. So beautiful - I was sorry to leave them.

Glad to hear everyone's creeping towards Spring. We had the severe storms/wind come through yesterday -- was 70 before the storm, then dropped to 50 during the storm and 34 last night. Today - barely 40. This weekend - supposed to hit 80 both Saturday and Sunday!! Ugh - hope the *hot* weather doesn't last -- that'll cook the flowers and my Spring will be short lived.

If it dries out I'll see if I can get a photo or two. I'm waiting for my Magnolia (Jane) to open -- the buds all turned dark purple yesterday, so I know its getting close!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM

12,767 posts, read 12,547,251 times
I finally have purple and white crocus flowers, they are so cute! Plants have been out but today the flowers blossomed! I am so excited to see them!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,380,306 times
I planted, well threw a bunch of seeds out in pots, hanging baskets and anywhere I could find a spot about a 4 weeks ago and they are coming up like crazy. However I can't remember what some of these plants are, lol. My elephant ears are finally coming through, I felt like it was taking forever! I think I have come to the conclusion that I am not addicted to clothes, shoes, shopping, etc. but I am seriously addicted to plants.

CptnRn, I planted a Carolina Jessamine against a stone wall and it has grown so fast in the past month. I had one at my previous place when I lived in Dallas and in 10 years it was humongous! I loved it, I actually thought about digging it up and taking it with me but instead I asked the new owners to take care of it, it was my labor of love, lol. I, like you, started planting more perennials. I don't want to have to replant something every single year...our yard is way too big for that.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,383,079 times
Default The dogwoods are blooming!

These have blossomed in the last week...

Last edited by LilyLady; 08-27-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 PM

12,767 posts, read 12,547,251 times
All I can say is WOW!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,213,666 times

Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,074,940 times
I am very (incredibly, stupendously, deliriously) happy to report that Spring has FINALLY reached Northern MN

We had our first thunderstorm yesterday with an all day soaker. Woke up this morning to find the patches of my yard that weren't completely underwater have green grass starting to pop up. Calling for a high of 51 today, 60's tomorrow and NO SNOW predicted ANYWHERE on the extended forecast.

The daily rounds of the gardens searching for the early bulbs and johnny jump ups have started I will be sane for the next 10 months or so now, I'm sure of it. lol.

Last edited by light_shimmer; 04-11-2011 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: typo...oops

Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM

1,728 posts, read 5,949,967 times
Here are a few pics of stuff blooming around the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Fever 2011!!-picture-001.jpg   Spring Fever 2011!!-picture-003.jpg   Spring Fever 2011!!-picture-004.jpg   Spring Fever 2011!!-picture-005.jpg   Spring Fever 2011!!-picture-006.jpg  

Spring Fever 2011!!-picture-002.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden