U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM

7,087 posts, read 13,595,788 times

Advertisements

Spring Fever 2011!!

Well, the bug is already itching at me. I've bought my peat pots and germination mixture and have most of my seeds, I'll probably start putting seeds to medium the first of next week. I have a nice south facing deck, gets good sunlight all day. I'll put them out two hours after sunrise and bring them in about an hour before sunset, we're still getting light freezes early in the morning. I do prefer the peat pots to the plastic ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 11,327,548 times
We did the "yard" check yesterday. Walked the property to see what's made it vs. what hasn't. So far all looks good. Sap is starting to rise in a few things, but nothing dramatic yet. Lost a small magnolia shrub (in the ground 2 years) to deer munching!! Weasels!! There's a gigantic honeysuckle (it was here when we bought the place) not 15 ft away, and they have to eat my Magnolia to the ground!

A couple of bulbs are just breaking the surface.

Bird activity is really picking up (more Robins, lots of Cardinals and some Blue Jays and finches). Lots of hawks in the trees as I'm driving.

Side note: I don't know if Hawks (primarily red-tailed) have seasonal behavior or not, but it seems every year in Spring I start noticing them in quantities again. Its not simply because the branches of the trees are bare - because then I'd notice them in winter as well... hmmm?

No worries - I'm not actually planting right now, because Feb is a little early (by about a month) even for ambitious planting here in Cincy. However, I may get the rest of the tulips in the ground this weekend (that I couldn't get in before the December snow). We're to be at 60 on Thursday and high 50s on friday.

We're planning on starting our De-Honeysuckle project soon -- so we may get a start on that this weekend. Its going to drop back into the upper 40s, but upper 40s and sun is not bad weather for deliberate deforestation.

Just so happy to get back outside!!!!

Hang in there my Northern friends... Spring is coming your way too, however slowly. This year the groundhog will not be denied!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Yeah, I too have a couple inches of sprout on some daffodils, not much else at this time. I did a fairly radical pruning on the fig tree, right now it looks more like a stick bush, it, as is my garden, is located on the north side of my front yard, this spot gets full sun, all day long. I'm gonna try some heirloom tomatos from seed, I'll do my watermelon and cantalope in my peat pots also, makes planting them easier, same with Broccoli, Cauliflower, and cabbage, might do brussel sprouts again, the cabbage family is usually the first thing I put in the ground as it can take a light freeze.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 PM

205 posts, read 431,274 times
I have about a foot and some inches in my yard here in Buffalo. Just the other week there was 4.5-5 feet built up. Then we had 2 or 3 days of over 30 and boy does it melt quick. Still... I don't do anything except tidy up the yard until mid-April. 3-4 months off of gardening out of the year seems like the perfect break from my garden and yard. It gets me excited to go back out there, and then in October I get tired of it again.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 AM

20,545 posts, read 27,704,477 times
I am so ready to start my garden...unfortunately like most of you I have to wait. There is no speeding up Mother Nature.

On a good note, I have been getting lots of gardening catalogs and I am planning

Old 02-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am so ready to start my garden...unfortunately like most of you I have to wait. There is no speeding up Mother Nature.

On a good note, I have been getting lots of gardening catalogs and I am planning
LOL, Yup! I know that one, 2 or three a day last week.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:48 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,637,044 times
There was an ad on my local craigslist for a greenhouse recently. It was 18' x 54' and could be broken down into two smaller units. Price only $3,500. Oh I wanted it and could fit it in my back or side yard easily.

But I just spent all my "discretionary" cash on a new heating system for the house. Poor me.

I don't really need one any where near that big but oh the fun I had imagining all I could do with one that size.

I'm working like a maniac to get lots of indoor projects taken care of so when the spring truly is here (temps expected to reach high 60's by Friday but then back down again) I can get out and garden.

Hurry Spring, Hurry. We've had a very dry winter and are in drought mode - not at all good for the farmers and ranchers who need to grow the hay that will get their cattle through next winter.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 AM

3,958 posts, read 5,008,347 times
We went from temps down in the teens one week to 70's for highs and lows in the 50's the next week. Crazy mixed-up Texas weather! The cold left the yard looking kind of bad (the blow-torch effect), but the rosemary bush, one anemone and a Baby Blue-eyes are blooming now. Now we really need some rain! Severe drought level here. Can't really count on much of any water not coming out of a faucet.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM

4,877 posts, read 6,489,607 times
Like so many of you, I too have the itch to dig and plant. But, I am standing by what my grandfather always said, "don't plant until tax day". I will have to be happy just tweaking and triming and planning for garden time.

Keep dreaming, spring will be just around the corner.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM

571 posts, read 965,563 times
It is fun to read about how others are looking forward to gardening. I get inpired! Yesterday, I saw some Forsythia bushes in full bloom - covered with bright yellow flowers - in one yard nearby, but the owner of that yard must have a really green thumb, because none of the others are blooming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden