U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:17 PM

383 posts, read 910,175 times

Advertisements

I have some crocus peeping through the ground here in Delaware. Hope to be planting spinach in 2 weeks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:53 PM

17,321 posts, read 35,157,610 times
It was 76F here today, almost warm enough for shorts. It's a little too soon though considering March is usually kinda cold, the red maples are already flowering.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM

41,014 posts, read 50,750,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
All right - I know many of you live in perpetual Spring, and for many others Spring is still a distance away...

but I just can't take it anymore!!! Here in Cinci we're to be in the 50's today!! (Finally!! Been a cold winter so far!) and stay near the 50's all week. Next Friday its to push into the 60's!! The urge to GO OUTSIDE and work is nearly overpowering.......

I know that it doesn't mean Winter's over. (Even though Puxatawney Phil did say we'd have an early Spring) But the Robins are visible again, the geese are on the move, I've started to see some color moving into the tree branches ------ c'mon Spring!!!!

I know if this week holds out like they say, my bulbs will make a start for it...(I had some that came up in late Nov. and have just been dormant and confused since then)...

So anyway -- just a place for everyone with Spring fever to express their feelings...

Happy gardening 2011 to everyone!
I really get that. this is our first winter away from Ohio, and we are so glad to be out of there. Long about now, I would start feeling as though, if the sun didn't shine on me soon, I was going to kill someone. Right now it is 70 here, and the camelias and magnolias are in bloom. Pretty soon the azaleas will be out and the sun shines almost every day. It's a real mood elevator.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 11,319,229 times
Well.. we're settling into a "typical" spring pattern -- somewhat cold and rainy.

Saturday (last) did push 60 degrees though, and was SUNNY! to boot.. so - we spent the day outside destroying invasive Honeysuckle!!

It felt so good to be outside!!!! Bulbs are pushing up, tree buds are swelling...

even the rain/cold for the next few weeks will not dampen (no pun intended) my spirits!! Spring is NEARLY here!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM

15,927 posts, read 7,448,997 times
I'm pretty sure the chance of a freeze is gone, and now I need to get out there and prune all the mess from the damage winter caused. By the end of March everything should be shooting up pretty nicely.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
Does anyone here know the difference between a 'Little Gem' magnolia and a regular one? I had a Magnolia planted in my yard when my house was built. They put it really close to the house and I am afraid it will overtake my septic or mess with my house if it is a regular Magnolia. If it is a Little Gem I will leave where it is. Any links or info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:18 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,072,436 times
We got teased here with 40's-50's for a few days a week or so ago. And everything went downhill from there. It was -15 when I woke up this morning, and all the grass patches that popped up through the melting snow have since been covered again with more friggin snow. I'm getting a tad cranky now. I've written up the list of all the big things that need to get done as soon as the snow melts, I have another list of things that don't have to get done, but I'd really like to work on. Really? I just want to see grass. Just seeing a little bit of green again would calm me down I think. >sigh<

Spring comes every year, it's a guaranteed event, but it seems like it keeps slowing down and winter just keep getting longer and longer.
whine whine whine, blah blah blah lol.
SPRING FEVER!!!!! ARGH

Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM

3,763 posts, read 11,319,229 times
That's exactly how I felt 10 days ago light_shimmer!!!

Its hysterical - because honestly, winter here (Cincinnati area) is soooo much shorter than what I'm used to up near Detroit ... and yet, if anything its made me even MORE impatient to get winter over with and on with Spring!!!

I don't know why, but in MI I knew the outside was "off limits" for Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar --- so honestly, a solid 5 months that you're not really doing much outside if anything (maybe some leaf raking in Nov).

Here - you can easily be doing things until early December. Then you start to see peeks of Spring in Feb.. That means your really only totally out of commission in Jan and Feb. Two months!!! And all that's done is make me even MORE frantic to have winter over with and *BE* outside.

*sigh* whine whine whine, winter winter winter - indeed!

Well take heart everyone.. its coming.. we just have to hold on a few more days/weeks....

Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,715,321 times
I kinda' have spring fever but am nervous about it, too. Here in Western Oregon we didn't have a spring at all last year, not even a week's break that I can remember. It rained and rained and rained, and when it wasn't raining it was cloudy. Horrible. And the lack of spring sure showed in gardens. Tomatoes did horribly in this area, and the baby melons never produced.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM

14,174 posts, read 24,514,361 times
I've got crocus blooming here in Denver and the daffodils have poked through the ground. We typically get wet snows in March/April that melt in a day, so good for the precipitation and greening things up. I'll put down the Spring fertilizer on the lawn next week, and I try to time it right before it snows to help it soak in. If we have a dry March, then I have to get the hose out!

Other things I do in March here... plant pansies and violas in flower boxes (if it's going to get below 20, I'll move them to the garage until it warms up) and plant my Elephant Ear bulbs I dug up last November in pots and put them in a sunny window. That way the're a couple feet tall by May when I put them in the ground. People always as me how I get my Elephant Ears to grow so big here, but that's how I do it. If I wait and just put the bulbs back in the ground in May, they don't really start growing until June and you never get the full effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden