U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM

16,791 posts, read 43,835,686 times

Advertisements

It felt good to put a few new plants in the ground yesterday.
4 cast iron plants
8 hostas
2 sago palms
4 dianthus
2 columbine
2 maidenhair ferns and ivy for the pots at the front door
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Fever 2011!!-garden1.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 AM

21,534 posts, read 19,331,352 times
FINALLY some trees with some green on them. The mountains are still brown and bare but willow trees have some definite green budding.
The grass is growing, too. I was thinking about cutting it in the front yard where it could use it buts its only been in the 40s here in SE PA.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,380,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It felt good to put a few new plants in the ground yesterday.
4 cast iron plants
8 hostas
2 sago palms
4 dianthus
2 columbine
2 maidenhair ferns and ivy for the pots at the front door
Sounds like you had a busy day! Hope they all do well for you.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,074,359 times
March 28th and still a snow covered, non growth friendly atmosphere going on. We had a thaw going on for a while, made everything muddy. Now the mud is frozen....and half the snow is still here. I'm not a happy Minnesotan this "spring".

Old 03-29-2011, 01:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 11,346,768 times
Sorry light shimmer! We've got a cold snap coming through and could get some freezing rain/light snow tonight.

However - right now the grass is green (well, mine needs to be fertilized - but the neighbor's is green) - a couple of Daff's are blooming (finally!) and the forsythia has opened. The viburnum and lilacs have buds (lilacs seem like they open so much earlier here than they did in Micihgan!) and I have a robin sitting and looking at me.

Have seen a lot more deer activity, a flock of wild turkeys, 2 snakes and a coyote... (I live in suburbia, but with farmland surrounding) in the last 2 weeks.

The honeysuckle are putting out leaves - but (as mentioned earlier) - its the really invasive stuff and so not representative of the normal plants around here. Normal plants have not yet broken their leaf buds. Though the 2 days that pushed 70 everything swelled... and then stopped.

Just hang on... a little longer! Thursday's opening day for baseball - and the Twins always make the Tiger's life miserable... so maybe that can distract you for a little while..

Old 04-01-2011, 04:24 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,074,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Sorry light shimmer! We've got a cold snap coming through and could get some freezing rain/light snow tonight.

However - right now the grass is green (well, mine needs to be fertilized - but the neighbor's is green) - a couple of Daff's are blooming (finally!) and the forsythia has opened. The viburnum and lilacs have buds (lilacs seem like they open so much earlier here than they did in Micihgan!) and I have a robin sitting and looking at me.

Have seen a lot more deer activity, a flock of wild turkeys, 2 snakes and a coyote... (I live in suburbia, but with farmland surrounding) in the last 2 weeks.

The honeysuckle are putting out leaves - but (as mentioned earlier) - its the really invasive stuff and so not representative of the normal plants around here. Normal plants have not yet broken their leaf buds. Though the 2 days that pushed 70 everything swelled... and then stopped.

Just hang on... a little longer! Thursday's opening day for baseball - and the Twins always make the Tiger's life miserable... so maybe that can distract you for a little while..

Haha- thanks Briolat

Anyone have more spring pictures? They are forecasting another 6 inches of snow possible by Monday here.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 PM

142 posts, read 382,500 times
We have yet to see Spring here in Northern Indiana. Most days its in the 40's and 20's at night. Today was 64 BUT no sun and stormy. My Daff's and Tulips started peaking through the mulch but I think they are putting it in reverse and trying to go back down. Can't say I blame them.
Grass received its first dose of fertilizer last week before the rains and it's looking green. I need a good week of sunshine...I am sick of cloudy!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,651,475 times
Yesterday was our first really nice day and I spent much of it outside. Moving the compost bins, I started with a layer of bark and small wood chips gathered up in the back yard where I'd had a load of firewood dumped several months ago.

Then I headed out to the pasture and filled my big two wheeled wheelbarrow with horse manure with a bit of hay mixed in it. That filled the first tier of my home make bins that are similar in concept to the Smith & Hawkins Bio-Stack units in that they are three independent tiers each and I have two of them. I made them from Trex decking material so they won't rot but they are very heavy.

Today I'll work on getting the rest of the tiers and their contents moved to the new location and also try to get another load of manure. Have to see how the energy lasts.

Tomorrow we'll have a one day cold snap with highs no greater than 42, as opposed to today's 76. Yikes. Then a return to springlike temps.

Last year I got as far as having three forms for square foot raised beds built but have not gotten them lined yet. I've got about a month before temps will be consistently warm enough to get veggies started and I won't risk loosing them to a late frost/freeze.

I've also decided on where I want one flower bed and will use some of the rock collected from around the fields last summer to define the outside perimeter of the bed which will be in front of the equipment shed I had built last year.

I'm also hoping that this will be the year that I get some blueberry bushes planted in the side yard along the pasture fencing.

Oh, to have the energy and stamina that I had at age 30 or even 40. Thank goodness I'm retired and can have the time to work slowly, doing a bit every day.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 12,539,081 times
Pace yourself Zugor! Start slow and work into it! I'm retired, too, and I tend to go full out the 1st few days and then I pay (usually the chiropractor)!!!

Not much Spring here although tomorrow will be in the high 40's with sunshine! Woohoo! Yesterday was so strange, thunder, lightning, rain, sleet, hail, snow, a little bit of everything!!!

I'm so anxious because I changed up, moved things around last fall in my 2 perennial areas so I want to see what is happening!

Keep the posts, pictures coming! Thanks everyone!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,495,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Pace yourself Zugor! Start slow and work into it! I'm retired, too, and I tend to go full out the 1st few days and then I pay (usually the chiropractor)!!!

Not much Spring here although tomorrow will be in the high 40's with sunshine! Woohoo! Yesterday was so strange, thunder, lightning, rain, sleet, hail, snow, a little bit of everything!!!

I'm so anxious because I changed up, moved things around last fall in my 2 perennial areas so I want to see what is happening!

Keep the posts, pictures coming! Thanks everyone!!!
yep, I have to slow hubby down as well. Yesterday, I flatly said "NO MORE"

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden