Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I'm in Mebane, N.C. about half way between Greensboro and Raleigh and my garden measured 80 ft by 50 ft. Originally it was red clay, but, I've been mulching my garden with grass clippings for the last ten years, our clearing in the woods is about 2.5 acres and produces a lot of grass clippings. My garden is no longer clay, but instead has turned to a nice rich loam.
I don't think I can handle a garden as big as your , I am totally busy with my little garden and enjoying it. Today I cooked my first 3 summer squash and one zucchini. I invited my neighbor and we had them for lunch, it was very nice. I am watching my tomatoes and peppers, I have tomatoes on all of my trees "can I call them trees" now and I am excited how nice and strong the heirloom ones look. I am already making plans for my fall and next year garden. I know I will be buying a lot of compost to help the soil in my beds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 12:12 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Well here in Brooklyn the City planted 3 Honey Locust trees at the curb of our apartment, we have since put the wooden logs around the tree bed, stained then a dark brown and we planted for the first time in 25 years. I planted marigolds, and Hostos, and Ivy. I planted the Ivy nerest the curb, as we have a heavy pedestrian neighborhood and needed something durable should the rotten kids stpe on them. LOL....Plus they come back every year. The marigolds are relly growing and have since been flowering....the only problem we are running into is we have a lot of cats in the neighborhood and they like to do number 2 in the garden. What do i do???

Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well here in Brooklyn the City planted 3 Honey Locust trees at the curb of our apartment, we have since put the wooden logs around the tree bed, stained then a dark brown and we planted for the first time in 25 years. I planted marigolds, and Hostos, and Ivy. I planted the Ivy nerest the curb, as we have a heavy pedestrian neighborhood and needed something durable should the rotten kids stpe on them. LOL....Plus they come back every year. The marigolds are relly growing and have since been flowering....the only problem we are running into is we have a lot of cats in the neighborhood and they like to do number 2 in the garden. What do i do???
Ivy (hedera helix) is an invasive plant. Unless you're planning to maintain it forever, I suggest removing it from public property:
Wildlands Restoration Team - What
http://www.pestcontrolrx.com/photos/...englishivy.jpg

Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ivy (hedera helix) is an invasive plant. Unless you're planning to maintain it forever, I suggest removing it from public property:
Wildlands Restoration Team - What
http://www.pestcontrolrx.com/photos/...englishivy.jpg

Everybody here in Brooklyn has ivy near their tree pits, it is planted because it grows thick and covers the ground and is very durable, and that is what we need here, I don't understand why you think I should remove it??

Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM

107 posts, read 214,222 times
This is our third year growing veggies and every year the garden gets a little bigger. First year too much rain, lots of blight, not so good. Second year had tropical heat and humidity in New England and a bumper crop. Third year is off to a good start. Here's what I am growing.

sweet potatoes, lots of sweet potatoes
organic broccoli
organic bell & jalapeno peppers
heirloom Amish Paste (roma) & Brandywine tomatoes
organic Provider green beans
organic soybeans
organic corn + Tom Thumb corn for popping
organic garlic
3 kinds of onions
swiss chard & red lettuce (already harvested spinach & carrots from winter garden)
organic sweet granite (?) cantaloupe
butternut squash & New England Pie pumpkins
Japanese climbing cucumbers
beets
strawberries
plus kale, spinach and arugala will be going in late summer to replace other plants that are finished

2 apple trees, 2 plum trees and a peach tree none of which I will see any fruit on this year because they are too new

4 blueberry bushes almost ready for picking

Old 07-01-2011, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Well I am the type of farmer than throws the seeds or plants in the ground, asks God for some rain and I say a few more prayers, then I hope for the best: This year I think things will do ok, if I could just control the weeds. They are so bad it looks like I just planted everything on top of the grass for heaven's sake. For the first time I tried straw for mulch, never again..

Anyway I have a small garden and here is what we have:

Beans
Peppers
lots of tomatoe varieties
3 kinds of squah
cukes
sweet potatoes. The plants are mixed in with the squash cause they won't be ready to dig up until everything else has gone for the winter. Oh, and I have pots of herbs which are happier this year than in other years

NIta

Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,534 times
I didn't make a list before, but here's what I have:

1. 4 different varieties of tomatoes (harvested and had some of them already)
2. Squash (had couple)
3. Zucchini (had couple)
4. Pepper (harvested a few)
5. Red cabbage (watching it grow, very amazing how it progresses)
6. Collard Greens (cooked a few couple times)
7. Cucumbers (waiting to grow)
8. Okra (no flowers yet, lots of green leaves)
9. Eggplant (One ready, will pick tomorrow)

Wow, I had no idea I planted all this. I am planning for my next year garden already, I had no idea I will enjoy gardening this much.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,077 times
lots of herbs in the perennial bed
green beans
hot peppers
cucumbers
roma tomatoes
asparagus

Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmom View Post
This is our third year growing veggies and every year the garden gets a little bigger. First year too much rain, lots of blight, not so good. Second year had tropical heat and humidity in New England and a bumper crop. Third year is off to a good start. Here's what I am growing.
My 3rd year also. Yup...lost most of my tomatoes to blight the first year. Last year was a good year but my zuke plant was pitiful. This year, everything is looking happy and healthy....well except for the hail storm that tore up a lot of my plant stems and leaves.

The bad, lol:
I have onions...which never get big for me
My basil...which I killed...don't ask..I have never had luck with basil
my lettuce never produced

And the good
Lots of tomatoes
green peppers
some kind of hot pepper which I thought was a sweet yellow pepper
green bush beans
pole beans
peas for the first time...I will have to make changes next year. They grow crazy
4 zucchini
4 squash
lots of cucumbers

Right now my garden looks like a jungle

Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,856,667 times
We're growing watermelon, 3 kinds of squash, tomatoes, and green peppers. We hope to have a larger garden area next year and I am hoping for room enough to grow some sweet corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden