Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Do you like cats? A really big one would help with your squirrel problem if let outside.
Must be different squirrels or, different cats...
Our two cats, both tough 'outdoor' cats with claws and great hunting skills, have basically given up on chasing the red mtn squirrels we have that decimate our planters and feeders. Red mtn squirrels are smaller than std gray squirrels, but much tougher, even more gymnastic, and our two critter catchers only get 1-2 per season...thus, my pellet gun or, my Glock with low grain loads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
I don`t know if this works or not, but someone told me to put cayenne pepper on the plants. They say, it won`t hurt the plant, but keeps the squirrels away.. I may have to get brave and try it this year.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,635 times
Two words: Pellet Gun.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Must be different squirrels or, different cats...
Our two cats, both tough 'outdoor' cats with claws and great hunting skills, have basically given up on chasing the red mtn squirrels we have that decimate our planters and feeders. Red mtn squirrels are smaller than std gray squirrels, but much tougher, even more gymnastic, and our two critter catchers only get 1-2 per season...thus, my pellet gun or, my Glock with low grain loads.
I think mine is slightly crazy. She hasn't given up yet, and I think the resident squirrel population is tired of dealing with her, and went to the neighbors bird feeder She used to catch one or two a week, now not so much, but the squirrels aren't a big problem anymore either. I can still see them in the woods on the sides of the yard, but they tend to stay there and leave my feeders alone.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM

340 posts, read 1,445,600 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. These squirrels are very smart, believe me. I have 2 cats that constantly try but are unable to catch just one of these guys. Also have 2 outside dogs, Rat Terrier and small Lab that are fast but the problem is we have lots of oak trees and they always stay close enough to get up one before they're caught. They eat the tomatoes on the 4x4 posts used for the raised beds in the enclosure, never leaving a tomatoe on the plant. No chipmunks in this area (San Antonio Tx) I think I'll have to go with a finer mesh wire around the whole enclosure and hope that works. When it gets warm around here I think they use them for a source of hydration also.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,233 times
They are good painting brushes lol A dog would scare them off... my two small dogs scare squirrels off... when they're awake.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:33 PM

98 posts, read 120,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I hate to laugh, but I can't help it. This is so funny.
The squirrels were like wild Indians at my house last year!! I finally gave up on the tomatoes, and enjoyed the squirrels! LOL

Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
Definetly squirrels eating up garden, ive watched the devils tearing up everything from tomatos to squash, cucmbers, anything and everything! Nothing worse then waiting on those plants youve spent so much time, money & love on being destroyed by those devils. Havent tried it yet but the guy at tractor supply says if you put that vertilizer w some kind of blood meal in it it will keep them away. Tried moth balls, owls, snakes everything Ive read or seen about my next step is to locate some of this blood meal stuff. Idk hope it works!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
Any suggestions what is a safe deterent?
A terrier.

I have a Jack Russel terrier mix who will not allow bugs, mice, squirrels, birds flying overhead, worms or pretty much anything that moves in my yard. She eats what she catches too (yuck @ tapeworms.)

Oh...I just read you already have a terrier. I am out of ideas then.

(Except squirrels have never been a problem anywhere I've gardened.)

ETA...horrible of me to laugh but the "squirrelpault" was hysterical.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
If you figure this one out be sure to patent it. I'd pay big bucks to know how to keep them out of my garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden