Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 AM

61 posts, read 163,457 times

Advertisements

This is my first Spring where I have to maintain my own lawn. Right now it looks terrible. There are mossy patches, bare areas along the tree lines. Certain areas are direct sunlight and others receive almost none. I know Spring isn't the ideal time to try to get grass to grow but I do want to do something to prevent further damage and maybe even improve it somewhat. I was planning on using a broom rake, followed by a thatching rake, and finally spreading some seed.

I am concerned the thatching rake will leave too many bare spots and lead to erosion. Anyone have advide?

Also, what type of seed mix should I use? I am thinking of something that will allow quick root growth if possible. I don't have children so I am not so concerned about it being resistant to high-traffic. In the fall I will look to seed with something that will eventually create a more established lawn.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
You need to take some picutres and go to a local gareden cneter speicalist. You could alos realise that takigcare of a alwn to have a beautiful one is a year around job really.Make sure you bring some grass plugs so they can determine exactly what type of grass you have.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
If you are desperate to "do something", you can rough up your bare pathces and then cover them with a couple bales of peat moss to a depth of 1/4-1/2 inch. Go to southern states and get some of their high shade lawn blend, a bit of starter fertilizer, and hand sow those areas. Do this before a rain, and it should take and last until we dry out this summer. Odds of anything surviving through the summer is quite low unless it is atypically wet and cool.

If you don't care, like you said, the time to do this is in the fall just wait till then.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Grass in deep shade just doesn't work well. Since you have low traffic you could start by expanding the natural areas in the shade. Mondo grass and liriope work well in this area. If you plant these now and water during dry spells they establish fairly quickly.

mondo grass - Google Search

Frank

Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Nobody's lawn looks good in March!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nobody's lawn looks good in March!
Well, that depends on where you live.

In central NC, where the OP lives, the Bradford Pears have bloomed, the tulips are out and the fescue lawns have greened up nicely.
But trust me, once summer arrives, the cool season grasses really suffer here.

Frank

Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
^ agree. My fescue lawn is looking great now (I reseeded last fall) but once the summer comes along with the drought its gonna get ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden