Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Last fall I went a little crazy buying daffodil bulbs, and before I knew it I'd bought 1,000.

(Needless to say, my husband now hides the catalogs....)

Anyway, when I told this story you guys asked for photos. So here they are. BTW this probably represents 1500-1600 bulbs (since I've been planting bulbs for years and already had quite a few.)

Side yard

Further down the side yard. The globes are oversized christmas ornaments attached to legs from an old plastic table (I never throw anything out, I knew I'd someday find a use for that table...). Walmart was clearing out the ornaments last month for 50 cents, so I got a whole bunch of garden decorations for about $6.

More side garden. The snails are sitting on a statue I made out of two cinder blocks, old bottles, broken saucers, and cement. (Again, trying to find uses for things instead of throwing them out.)

Yet more of the side garden.

Boy, I really liked taking photos of the side garden, huh? It was hard to get it all in one shot because it's very long and windy.

A hilly spot. I actually planted most of the hill, but not all of them came up. I don't know why (unless maybe Mr. Squirrel and Mr. Bunny dug them up for a party, they seem to party a lot on this hill and dig up all sorts of things that they don't end up eating. Sometimes they carry them off as far as a neighbor's yard before they remember that daffodil bulbs taste nasty.)

Along the driveway.

This is a group I planted a few years back under a cherry tree.

Last edited by normie; 04-04-2009 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
I love it! Beautiful.

Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers and if you leave your thousand alone, in ten years you'll have five thousand. Just leave them be and let them go. They're so wonderful in mature masses, they survive and bloom forever with zero care.

Ya done good.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Thanks. Yup, they turned out really well this year. (Good thing, too, or my husband would never let me hear the end of it... )

I just wish they lasted longer. They usually last about 5-6 weeks. This year has been a little chilly so I might be able to stretch it to 2 months. Wish I could have them all year long, once the trees get their leaves it gets very shady and it's hard to have flowers in most of those spots.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I have some old ones that my great grandmother planted probably 50 years ago (their house used to be where mine sits today). Every year I take a few and start a new clump. The flowers aren't quite as big as the newer varieties like yours though. I have snowdrops everywhere too, now talk about spreading. LOL

Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I love daffodils. Those are spectacular! Just curious but do you have any idea how many varieties you have? Any favorites?
I potted up some of my Tete-a-Tetes after they flowered and brought them with me when I moved. I'm really hoping they survive, they are so cute.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
OK, so I was happy with my dozen till I saw that! Beautiful; absolutely beautiful. May I come and sit in your yard?

Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
This fall, I plan to pack my perennial bed with all kinds of daffodil bulbs. There's got to be a place to buy in bulk. I love the way yours look. Mine are still too sprawled. I also need to divide a bunch of decades old clumps I have in the back yard, but I would need to dig up a few trees and half the garden to get to them. I might just wait until next spring when they first start to emerge.

For summer, you should consider spider lily bulbs for the same beds. And daylilies or oriental/asiatic lilies for the summer. You could have flowers almost year round with no effort. Spider lilies naturalize well.

I have these. They're very cool. In late summer, the shoots emerge from the ground. Once they bloom, the foliage comes up. It looks like lirope to me, but has a streak down the center of each leaf. I dug up 12 clumps this year and planted one or two here and there throughout the garden. Should be interesting to see if they bloom this year.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
This fall, I plan to pack my perennial bed with all kinds of daffodil bulbs. There's got to be a place to buy in bulk.
Ask and you shall receive
Here's a link to a company in Connecticut. I've ordered from them myself, in my last house - great variety, excellent quality--all you need is the room! Have fun!

Daffodils - Daffodil Narcissus Daffodil Gifts - White Flower Farm

Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
They are beautiful, I love daffodils. The best part is they will keep adding on more attached bulbs and filling in more and more.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:23 PM

821 posts, read 2,012,017 times
oh my gosh, I want all of those in my yard
I love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden