Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 PM

320 posts, read 2,529,860 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I'm out here in Los Angeles. I have a Hibiscus that's not doing so well. Our landscaper planted a total of 4 last July and all were going strong with good growth & green leaves. In January, one plant started to exhibit pale leaves. This was after a couple weeks of heavy rain. Leaves will turn yellow, others leaves will appear to curl and dry up, leading to whole branches dying. It's still flowering some. I've cut off a few of the dead branches -- and the inside of the pruned branch is dead at the base and still greenish inside at a cross section further up the branch. I did notice aphids and what seemed to be spider mites a couple months back, but sprayed the plant (along with the others) with a pesticide, and haven't seem them since. I read that Hibiscus will shed leaves with a bad infestation, but it's been a couple months since the infestation so not sure that's the residual problem.

The plants are mulched in a raised walled planting bed, and I don't think the landscaper swapped out much of the poor clay soil in our yard when he planted them. Using a moisture meter, I've noticed the planting bed has never really dried out since the heavy rains. And we've had rains every couple of weeks since then. The soil continually registers wet. I'm wondering if the plant is water logged or incurred disease from too wet of soil. I have fertilized lightly with Miracle Grow as well.

I'm considering that I should dig it up, improve the soil, and replant. I know replanting can shock the plant, but I've seen no real signs of improvement in the health of plant. All other 3 plants are fine, so can't quite figure this one out.

Any input appreciated.... thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Sickly Hibiscus - Pale Leaves-photo-1.jpg   Sickly Hibiscus - Pale Leaves-photo-2.jpg   Sickly Hibiscus - Pale Leaves-photo-3.jpg   Sickly Hibiscus - Pale Leaves-photo-4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Aphids and spider mites can do a lot of damage. But it sounds like die-back disease. Cut back all of the dead pieces and toss them in the trash. How's the drainage? Hibiscus need great drainage. Has it been cold as well as rainy? That can be bad news for hibiscus. You have a beautiful set-up there but I'd also worry about them getting enough sun since they're up against a wall.

My hibiscus (I was in L.A. when I grew them) were always just "out there" where the drainage and sun wasn't restricted.

Were I you I'd cut back all signs of dead branches and leaves ASAP. Google Die-back disease and you'll get a ton of info. You might also talk to a good Nurseryman. Not all landscapers really know plants. Good luck. I love hibiscus. I miss my hibiscus.

(As the really great nurserys closed in the L.A. area I started haunting Home Depot and even Walmart. I always talked to whomever they had working there. Found some really knowledgable people that way.)

Old 03-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Aphids and spider mites can do a lot of damage. But it sounds like die-back disease. Cut back all of the dead pieces and toss them in the trash. How's the drainage? Hibiscus need great drainage. Has it been cold as well as rainy? That can be bad news for hibiscus. You have a beautiful set-up there but I'd also worry about them getting enough sun since they're up against a wall.

My hibiscus (I was in L.A. when I grew them) were always just "out there" where the drainage and sun wasn't restricted.

Were I you I'd cut back all signs of dead branches and leaves ASAP. Google Die-back disease and you'll get a ton of info. You might also talk to a good Nurseryman. Not all landscapers really know plants. Good luck. I love hibiscus. I miss my hibiscus.

(As the really great nurserys closed in the L.A. area I started haunting Home Depot and even Walmart. I always talked to whomever they had working there. Found some really knowledgable people that way.)
Thanks for the feedback! I will look into die back disease. It has been rainy and cold by L.A. standards. With the clay soil and walled planting bed, I suspect drainage may be an issue. My moisture meter was registering pretty wet soil. Though the other hibiscus are fine, this one may have fallen weak due to the bugs and then more susceptible to the less than ideal soil. The area does get a good deal of daily sun, so at least I have that going for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
clay soil and walled planting bed, I suspect drainage may be an issue.... this one may have fallen weak due to the bugs and then more susceptible to the less than ideal soil.
Bingo ringo. The clay soil can be a real issue with hibiscus. And yes, once the bugs get them they are weakened. I'd try putting potting soil into the planter.

I used to have to spray mine because the white flys just inundated them. I bought big bags of ladybugs for them and the roses. (Think the birds got a feast from the ladybugs.)

I was in the "try and save them until they are really, truly dead" category. Hibiscus are just so fabulous, but alas, they won't grow in the desert which is where I'm at now. Once you get them established you may want to stand back. I've seen them grow to gigantic sizes in SoCal.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Bingo ringo. The clay soil can be a real issue with hibiscus. And yes, once the bugs get them they are weakened. I'd try putting potting soil into the planter.

I used to have to spray mine because the white flys just inundated them. I bought big bags of ladybugs for them and the roses. (Think the birds got a feast from the ladybugs.)

I was in the "try and save them until they are really, truly dead" category. Hibiscus are just so fabulous, but alas, they won't grow in the desert which is where I'm at now. Once you get them established you may want to stand back. I've seen them grow to gigantic sizes in SoCal.
Yah, I've let it slowly fade over the past month seeing if it would improve on its own. I think my only recourse might be to dig it up and replant with different soil that will drain better. Can't really make it any worse. I can't say for sure how much of the clay the landscaper swapped out, but I suspect he didn't swap out enough.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yah, I've let it slowly fade over the past month seeing if it would improve on its own. I think my only recourse might be to dig it up and replant with different soil that will drain better. Can't really make it any worse. I can't say for sure how much of the clay the landscaper swapped out, but I suspect he didn't swap out enough.
I'd have swapped it all out. As far as I'm concerned clay in the garden is evil. I have bought hundreds of bags of potting soil over the years. Hundreds. Google "clay soil los angeles" and meet some fellow sufferers.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:49 PM

Hola, I'm back!

I just thought of a place you might like. The hanging baskets thread reminded me. Have you been to Roger's Gardens in Corona del Mar? It is probably the premier nursery in SoCal. Just a walk through the place is like being in a garden show. Their experts are very knowledgeable and are happy to help. You'll also find plants there that are hard to find aywhere else. (Their Christmas displays are out of this world.)

If you haven't been there, thinking about making a day of it and driving down. It's that good!

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 PM

We had more rain & cooler temps. Tree has gone from bad to worse. All of the leaves yellowed & curled & wilted at once, save for a few green leaves at the base. We did move the mulch from the trunk a few days ago to help air reach the soil, but I can't imagine that triggered the sudden death.

When I dig it up I'm going to check the trunk. Right after Christmas, I came home to find the bush keeled over from the winds. After that, I braced it with a stake, but I'm wondering if something broke or snapped on the trunk under the soil level.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Tropical Hibiscus require a lot of light and aren't very tolerant of cold, wet, soggy soil.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
We had more rain & cooler temps. Tree has gone from bad to worse. All of the leaves yellowed & curled & wilted at once, save for a few green leaves at the base. We did move the mulch from the trunk a few days ago to help air reach the soil, but I can't imagine that triggered the sudden death.

When I dig it up I'm going to check the trunk. Right after Christmas, I came home to find the bush keeled over from the winds. After that, I braced it with a stake, but I'm wondering if something broke or snapped on the trunk under the soil level.
If the winds were strong enough to tip over a bush that small I'd say the root system had been pulled up. Which is never good. And I wouldn't mulch around the base. Especially with clay soil. You're trapping the water and hibiscus need great drainage. That's a beautiful planter but where's the drainage? Are there spaces where it can flow out or does all the water go straight down into the ground? We build all our planters with drain holes every 4 to 5 feet. At least.

Hibiscus are fairly cheap. I'd get a new one. (Personally, I love a good excuse to have to go plant shopping.)

Edits:

Have you got gophers? The more I look at that photo the more I cannot understand how the wind could have knocked a plant that size over. Even a Santa Ana. And how much does the home owner in back of you water? I noticed he's got some good size trees. Any chance his water is coming over to your area? I had a neighbor who would over water and I took note ("his" water came under the wall) and adjusted my own watering.

One more thought: Check the roots when you pull it up. That's an awfully small area for a hibiscus. It could be root-bound. If the others start to go it's a big clue.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-31-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden