Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Spiders have been a plague on the earth ever since they marched their eight feet out of hell. In some areas, spiders have been known to cocoon entire trees. And it turns out there's a benefit to their efforts.

io9. We come from the future.
Cool story, John!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
With walnut trees are you certain it wasn't Fall webworm rather than spiders? Webworm is pretty common for walnut trees. I try to cut of the affected area and put the webworm tent in a burn barrel. The one's I cannot reach I notice the birds feeding upon.

Plant Diseases: walnut tree with huge spider web like bags full of worms spanning several branches, tent caterpillars, preferred hosts
This is very common on walnut trees in my area. I've got two huge black walnut trees, and a few branches on each one get webworms (we call them tent caterpillars) every year in late summer or fall. They're disgusting, but have never caused any irreparable damage to my trees. And I've never seen them on any trees except the walnuts.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
This is very common on walnut trees in my area. I've got two huge black walnut trees, and a few branches on each one get webworms (we call them tent caterpillars) every year in late summer or fall. They're disgusting, but have never caused any irreparable damage to my trees. And I've never seen them on any trees except the walnuts.
Farther south they like pecan trees. We usually get a couple of webs a year. We try to knock them down if we can.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
We had some of our persimmon trees covered by web worms last summer. Nasty looking. We knocked down what we could with a pole saw and a ladder then we called a tree guy to come spray them.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,074,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Reminds me of what happened at a state park about an hour away next to a lake. It was COVERED in spider webs almost the entire state park. It was wild looking.

Giant Spider Web in an east Texas State Park

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...eb_600x450.jpg

It even made National Geographic.
Holy smokes! That's creepy looking. I'd be very reluctant to walk along that path. Those pictures are really something to see!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Holy smokes! That's creepy looking. I'd be very reluctant to walk along that path. Those pictures are really something to see!
Reluctant? You must be braver than I. No more effective "Do Not Enter" sign than giant tree-consuming spider webs. I mean, do we really believe those tiny spiders did that or is there a bigger one (ok, huge one) lurking behind the tree?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
With walnut trees are you certain it wasn't Fall webworm rather than spiders? Webworm is pretty common for walnut trees. I try to cut of the affected area and put the webworm tent in a burn barrel. The one's I cannot reach I notice the birds feeding upon.

Plant Diseases: walnut tree with huge spider web like bags full of worms spanning several branches, tent caterpillars, preferred hosts
Ahh, could be since it did occur in the month of September.

I will have to look up webworms.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:09 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Reminds me of what happened at a state park about an hour away next to a lake. It was COVERED in spider webs almost the entire state park. It was wild looking.

Giant Spider Web in an east Texas State Park

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...eb_600x450.jpg

It even made National Geographic.
that's the same park, trees, and spiders as in the OP.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM

561 posts, read 1,512,682 times
Looked more like webworms to me. I don't think webworms are oriented to specific trees--just anywhere they will set up shop, and then feed on the leaves. I've had them in my hardwood oaks and even had them in a small cedar shrub/tree. They'll spread if left unchecked. I seem to remember they will eventually kill a tree. I spray insecticide on the affected area and clip the branch from the tree/shrub.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
News, Why are these trees completely wrapped in spider webs?

UHHHHHHHH, they're in their nightgowns for the coming winter and they are dressed up in their sexiest nightgown for that handsome Oak down on the corner??? OOOOOOOH Darlin" showing a lotta bark there!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden