Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 05:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

I have another garden plan that's for blue flowers. So far, I have some camassia bulbs I got from the internet, but not much else. Any suggestions?

I'm so nerdy, here are my requirements again:
Tall, mid-height and groundcover.
Either blue, blue-ish or yellow
Full sun, zone 7, acidic soil
Sorta moist soil that drains okay...not boggy.
Prefer natives to the northeast or non-invasives

If you have any experiences with the plants in question, pls feel free to share those with me, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Catmint?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM

135 posts, read 390,419 times
There a quite a few bearded iris that are blue.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
I'll start with some blue to purple-blue I've had most of these in a part shade garden when living in NY:

lobellia the blue version of Cardinal flower:
Blue lobelia - Plant Encyclopedia - BHG.com
PlantFiles: Detailed information on Great Blue Lobelia Lobelia siphilitica

Jacob's Ladder: Jacobs Ladder (http://www.gardening-tips-perennials.com/jacobsladder.html - broken link)
(this one got a bit invasive in my old garden)

Monkshood (more towards the purple side) PlantFiles: Detailed information on Aconite, Monkshood, Monk's Coule, Helmet Flower, Cat's Tail Aconitum napellus 'Anglicum Group' ****note this plant is quite toxic so if there are kids that might try to eat one of your plants around it might not be a good choice.***

Hardy Ageratum:
Conoclinium coelestinum (Blue mistflower) | NPIN
PlantFiles: Detailed information on Hardy Ageratum, Blue Mistflower Conoclinium coelestinum

Blue Flag (an iris):
Iris versicolor - Blue Flag - Iridaceae
Iris versicolor (Harlequin blueflag) | NPIN

Spiderwort did well in part shade and damp but I think can tolerate more sun: Tradescantia virginiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For something low growing... and with tiny flowers: Blue eyed grass
Sisyrinchium angustifolium Blue-eyed Grass from Rainscaping.org

I've seen New England Aster recommended for rain gardens but never had them grow well in soil that stayed wet or boggy longer than a few days.
English Countryside New England Aster (Aster novae-angliae 'English Countryside') - Monrovia - English Countryside New England Aster (Aster novae-angliae 'English Countryside')
alos note that in southern gardens with a lot of humidity and heat asters can be susceptible to fungus and Aster wilt or Aster Yellow can spread from them to other plants through leaf hoppers. http://www.ppath.cas.psu.edu/EXTENSI...20Diseases.pdf

Well that's a start!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Thanks so much! Bluestone's site is pretty good and I found a lot of the plants I wanted.

I think I'll definitely do the hardy ageratum. It is native to my area and supposedly it can be invasive. GREAT!

I have a bed that I transplanted some daylilies into, and it looks like it will be able to hold it's own with them! Moo ha ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden