Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,307 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has tried following the lunar planting schedule. Was it successful, or too much of a hassle to check when you can plant/transplant, weed, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried following the lunar planting schedule. Was it successful, or too much of a hassle to check when you can plant/transplant, weed, etc.

Thanks!
I have heard from those here in TX that basically planting on a full reaps the best results. I haven't try it but it would make since since the tide is affected by the moon and our bodies.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times
My dad, who was a rancher, did everything by the sign of the moon; planting, separating calves, burning off something he didn't want, etc. He had a farmers almanac and consulted it all the time. For instance if he was trying to get rid of some noxious plant he would deal with it in the dark of the moon I think, because it was less likely to grow back quickly.

Doesn't hurt to try! And it is fascinating.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 47,482 times
I always sow according to the moon. If I'm interested in the leaves of the plant (e.g. salad) I sow with waning moon. If I'm interested in the flowers or the fruit I sow with waxing moon (for example, for tomatoes the best days to seed is in the 5 days before full moon). I've sown salad with waxing moon and it went to flower very rapidly () so now I've learnt. It works!

Last edited by DollyA77; 04-09-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyA77 View Post
I always sow according to the moon. If I'm interested in the leaves of the plant (e.g. salad) I sow with waning moon. If I'm interested in the flowers or the fruit I sow with waxing moon (for example, for tomatoes the best days to seed is in the 5 days before full moon). I've sown salad with waxing moon and it went to flower very rapidly () so now I've learnt. It works!
I go to the feed sotre often enough and see the Farmer's Almanac there. The next time I am there I will pick one up especially since I am starting my first squarefoot garden this year. Thanks for bring up this topic.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:02 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,307 times
Thanks for the input. I have seen information online and they indicate that it really works. I was hoping for more people with positive or negative experience. Did it really make much of a difference? Here in Florida, weeds grow like mad. You pull them out and just a day later, they are back with a vengeance. To think pulling weeds during a certain moon face will prevent the weeds from growing back so quickly has me very interested. Also interested to know how well plants did when planting them in the correct lunar phase for planting/transplanting. Was there really a noticable difference?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
I did it when I lived in SoCal. I used the Farmer's Almanac and my dad (who had been raised on a farm and took it as gospel). I don't remember, though, that we pulled weeds by the moom. But we did plant, prune and harvest at certain times. Both flowers and vegetables.

He also had rules on what veggies were planted next to each other and what flowers could border the vegetable patch. It worked very well and always gave me an "Earth Mother" feeling when I was out in the garden. He believed Nature knew when things should be done and we needed to take our clues from her. He also said some things were best done at night during a full moon (I'm thinking potatoes here) but we both agreed we didn't need to carry things that far. He told stories, though, of his grandfathers out plowing during a full moon. He also planted certain flowers just to draw in bees. (I think he'd have had hives if the city would have let him.) And I wanted butterflies so we planted milkweed and such like.

Maybe I'll mention here that I never pulled weeds unless he was consulted first. I'd be ready to yank something out and he'd say, "No. That one can be made into a tea." or "That one will feed the radishes if you leave it in for a few more weeks." The garden wasn't always tidy looking as a result but it sure did produce.

And he was big on the weather. He wouldn't do something like prune the roses unless he had a week afterwards that would be dry. And roses were never cut for display if it was hot outside.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-10-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,854,040 times
Question about lunar planting schedule

I never use them, never consult them and I don't ask anyone when I should plant. I go by my arthritis, it has only failed me one time, but....I was really young back then and did not have arthritis at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden