Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 05:30 AM

17 posts, read 46,399 times

Advertisements

Last spring we planted hibiscus, then in late fall cut them down to about six inches above ground and covered with mulch, hoping they would survive the winter. Last week we removed the mulch and discovered the bark on each plant was peeling off. We live in Charlotte North Carolina. How long will it take before we start to see some growth, or, should we just go ahead and purchase new plants? Thanks in advance for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
They are tropical and need a minimum of 55F so even if they survived would not be happy in winter. They root easily, I have one that is now 8 plants, after I pruned and rooted the cuttings. One thing you can do is root cuttings every fall, and grow them indoors all winter, put back outside in spring. Mine stay indoors all year, but then we get colder than you do.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,690 times
I wish that Hibiscus would grow for me. I have tried and they never bloom and just die out I dont have an oak tree, I know that I have seen many do very good planted under an oak because of the acidic soil.

I live in Florida (hence my name)

Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Before answering the question it might help to know if this was a perennial hibiscus which can withstand cold or a tropical hibiscus which can usually handle a short burst of cold but generally cannot handle winters above zone 9.

It sounds like you are not as far south as zone 9 so worst case is that you have a dead tropical hibiscus. The following is a Q&A page for tropical hibiscus care Tropical Hibiscus Q&A

If you have a perennial hibiscus (aka Hardy Hibiscus) then something may be sprouting soon, depending on where you live. Several of my cold sensitive plants left in the ground over winter are just sprouting now in my garden. Hardy hibiscus should be sprouting from the ground not from the old growth if I remember correctly.

Try the following sites for info on care for the hardy hibiscus:
Hibiscus Care
Garden Care : Hardy Hibiscus | Bachmans

Old 04-15-2011, 08:40 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I second what J&Em said. I had huge hardy hibiscus in NE Ohio that grew huge despite very cold winters. There are many varieties and they are sometimes called Rose of Sharon. these did not die back to the ground.
Ours were big bushes that bloomed in the late summer (not continuously), and then could be severely pruned to size. They made a great screen next to our patio.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:27 PM

17 posts, read 46,399 times
After reading everyone's response and checking out the sites supplied by J&Em, I'm almost certain we have tropical hibiscus plants. As a followup I went to Lowes and Home Depot this morning to find out if they sold both tropical and hardy hibiscus plants last year. No one I talked to at these stores knows for certain, and they only had tropical hibiscus plants today. We'll give it another week to ten days, and if no new growth occurs by then I'll probably purchase tropical hibiscus again, especially since they turned out so well last year. Now we know to bring them inside in winter. This was my first post, so I'm grateful for your responses and the knowledge gained today. Wish I had done this six months ago. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Try going to a real nursery instead of the home improvement stores; typically their employees are not really plant experts at all.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
I wish that Hibiscus would grow for me. I have tried and they never bloom and just die out I dont have an oak tree, I know that I have seen many do very good planted under an oak because of the acidic soil.

I live in Florida (hence my name)
Florida is a perfect climate for them. Try again, and use Miracid fertilizer.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:30 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,256 times
I've had them hammered by cold in Florida to the ground, they've skipped a full year growing to come back the second year. 10 days might not matter. Your going to fight it ever year tho, why not get something that likes cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden