Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far along is spring in your area?
It's still practically winter. Bare, brown grass, no flowers except maybe a few green shoots. 3 7.50%
Grass is partially green, early bulbs like crocus, forsythia, early daffodils 12 30.00%
Grass is mostly green, bulbs in full bloom except late varieties, some trees are blooming but leaves are still budding, small leaves on shrubs 4 10.00%
Full green grass, trees starting to leaf out but still open, bulbs/trees still in full bloom 4 10.00%
Trees mostly leafed out but a bright, misty green, late bulbs blooming and dogwoods/lilacs in full bloom 11 27.50%
It's practically summer with trees becoming a darker green, tulips done and roses/daylilies starting to bloom 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times

Advertisements

The time around the middle of April can lead to a wide variety of contrasts from North to South, low elevation to high elevation in terms of the progress of spring. These answers are a few basic categories that are fairly clear. Note this poll only lasts 48 hours as a sudden warm spell can quickly change the classification scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,746 times
Last week I would have gone with answer #2.....but as we got a reported ten inches of snow this weekend, with another one on the way today, I'm just feeling ornery, so went with #1. I did however, have little purple and yellow crocus blooming before the snow attacked them.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:30 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Here in Tampa spring is full-blown and we've already had a couple hot summery days. I chose your last option even though you can't grow tulips here. The oaks have dropped last year's leaves and grown new ones and they have almost all darkened to true green. They have also painted my car yellow with pollen so at least that's over. The jacarandas and crepe myrtles are blooming and the sky is clear blue. My spring blooming tillandsias are already at it, the rest of my bromeliads are putting out new pups.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Our Azaleas are starting to bloom and the bulbs are almost gone except for the late blooming ones. Of course I now need to thin them so we get more blooms next year. Our garden is almost complete, i will finish it today and pretty much any thought of frost is gone. We had a couple of nights last week that were in the high 30s, but not near freezing. I am so looking forward to spring and early summer, but know I will be bitching about the heat before long.

NIta

Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Mother nature right on track here in the Central Valley of California. The Worlds bread basket will be producing an abundance of food for the US and the world again here shortly. All the reseviors are at capacity and the snow pack is at historically high levels in all three Sierra regions.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,393 times
Default Spring is almost over

Spring is almost over here. The dogwoods finished blooming a few weeks ago. Most of the flowering bushes are almost finished blooming. All of the deciduous trees have finished growing new leaves.

The weather is starting to get hot, the temperature has already advanced above 90 degrees, though the nights are still a little bit cool. We are entering our annual period of hot, dry weather that lasts until the rainy season starts sometime in June.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Last week I would have gone with answer #2.....but as we got a reported ten inches of snow this weekend, with another one on the way today, I'm just feeling ornery, so went with #1. I did however, have little purple and yellow crocus blooming before the snow attacked them.
So sorry to hear that, Light Shimmer. Maybe it will melt quickly???

Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I'd say middle to end of Spring in the Sonoran desert. Palos Verde trees and creosote bushes are blooming. Wildflowers are blooming. (Not impressive this year. Very few lupines.) Certain cacti are blooming. Saw my first saguaro beginning to bloom on Saturday. They'll bloom from now to the beginning of June and then the fruit will come out. Plus it's already in the 90's so the desert is already drying out and the wild grass is brown.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
we're even further behind than usual this year. Temperatures are averaging about 10 degrees below normal. We just had some snow this afternoon (April 18).

Old 04-18-2011, 03:40 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
How far along is spring in your area?

Well, Dogwoods are in full bloom, so are azaleas, rhododendron, My watermelon, cantaloupe, first planting of corn, yellow squash, zucchini, butternut squash, sunflowers, okra, onions and spinach are all above ground, my tomatos and peppers are all flowering. The Apple trees and plum tree have lost their flowers and small fruit are visible. The fig tree is turning green, the butterfly bushes, drastically cut back over winter are green and heavily bushy, roses are blooming and hummingbirds are cussin' each other out over feeding stations. It'll probably snow next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden