Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:05 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,679 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have filbert/hazelnut trees, if so, how are they doing? In shopping online for filberts, I came across a butternut tree which I'm not familiar with. Hmmm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Do babies count? I planted two American filberts ( corylus americana) last fall, and they seem to be doing fine. I think they're maybe 3 years old, and it may be a while before I get nuts. I'm in zone 7B, and they're in a mostly sunny site.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:29 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Do babies count? I planted two American filberts ( corylus americana) last fall, and they seem to be doing fine. I think they're maybe 3 years old, and it may be a while before I get nuts. I'm in zone 7B, and they're in a mostly sunny site.
Maybe I should just keep asking you what does well in your yard as I plan my yard! I think we're near eachother (I'm a little north of Portland/Vancouver) and I'm also in 7B. My backyard faces north so I think this limits me a bit.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
butternuts are basically a type of walnut. i've never seen one outside of a catalog, as far as i know. there is also a serious problem with trees being killed by butternut canker, esp. in the carolinas.

i would like to try hazelnuts. last year i planted a couple of cold-hardy pecans but they're still little more than sticks in the ground.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
I recommend finding a local nursery instead of buying online. We have the Herring Run Watershed association in my area, and they have a big native plant sale every year. Actually, the local Lowes has an awesome new garden director and she has made sure to include a lot of native plants.

My neighbor also got a lot of her pawpaws and serviceberrys (native to the east coast) from a local nursery as well. And they were so cheap! So, a garden center may be cheaper than online, and you can see the quality of the plants.

Isn't Portland full of hippies I bet there's a native garden center near you that's selling filberts and other nut trees/large shrubs. Don't make my mistake of buying natives online I did that a couple of times and got plants that weren't as nice/big and actually cost more money.

I only have one other piece of advice if you're just getting started: plant in cooler weather. If you plant in autumn or early spring (native plants are used to colder weather) it's a lot easier and the plants will survive better than if they had to go through a hot summer their first year.

I think garden centers sell a bunch of plants in the spring, because at least 1/2 are guaranteed to die from heat/water stress and they'll have repeat customers. ;D

Old 11-29-2014, 10:34 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,743 times
I planted two hazelnuts about four years ago now, in my garden in Denver. I have had two harvests of really yummie nuts in the last two years.

I have been looking for information on propagation, storage and uses and have gotten some great answers at the permies forum.

Hazelnuts: harvest, processing, propagation...? (plants forum at permies)

Old 11-29-2014, 01:19 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
I planted two hazelnuts about four years ago now, in my garden in Denver. I have had two harvests of really yummie nuts in the last two years.

I have been looking for information on propagation, storage and uses and have gotten some great answers at the permies forum.

Hazelnuts: harvest, processing, propagation...? (plants forum at permies)
How do your grey squirrels treat your hazelnuts? I have so many squirrels that I would be afraid of just breeding more squirrels if I planted any nut trees.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:45 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,743 times
I am suprised that they do not seem to collect them. At least not that I have noticed. This year when I harvested them I was picking them up off the ground as well as off of the branches. I don't have too many squirrels but they are around.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:07 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
Does anyone have filbert/hazelnut trees, if so, how are they doing? In shopping online for filberts, I came across a butternut tree which I'm not familiar with. Hmmm!
4 filberts, a butternut, and a heart nut all died when we had a deep freeze before the plants were fully dormant.

My ultra-hardy pecans are doing OK, growing slowly, but growing. I lost 2 out of 3 Carpathian walnuts to the freeze. One walnut is thriving.

A neighbor has healthy black walnut trees. I've had black walnut trees, and they are messy and the nut meats are far too much work to shell. I don't recommend.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:06 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A neighbor has healthy black walnut trees. I've had black walnut trees, and they are messy and the nut meats are far too much work to shell. I don't recommend.
If you have the land and time (your young) you could plant the black walnut trees for the timber value.

As far as the meat from the nuts; they do have a distinctive flavor and, to some, are worth the extra work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden