Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times

Advertisements

I am tired of worrying about having major damage to my house so today two old silver maples that are diseased will be coming down. They are about 70 to 80 ft tall and many years ago were topped by someone who didn't have a clue. As a result where there had been one big limb 3 to 5 new smaller ones sprouted. Every storm brings down many small limbs and several larger ones. Recently had a 30 foot one come down, it was 4 inches across at the break.

The area is about 60 ft from the front of the house to the road and is to the west of the house. I am loosing my shade and need to figure out what to plant to replace these old guys who will be providing winter wood for the fireplace.

I'd like to go with a single tree with a spread of no more than 40 - 45 feet. Something deciduous to eventually provide some shade in summer but not block the sun in the winter.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,493 times
I've been thinking about a new tree myself, for a spot in our backyard. So with trees on the brain.. for your situation.. Maybe a Japanese maple? I love their foliage but they only spread about 20' I believe.. Or maybe some type of magnolia? Another idea to consider, though you said a single tree, are dogwoods, which I think are so pretty in the spring especially in a group of two or three, and may eventually be together the size you want.

Other trees I like are weeping willow, ginko, and just about all fruit trees, though not sure if the specs of these would fit into your requirements.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Why not replace with a more colorful "sugar" maple of the red or orange varieties? They are a much harder wood than the soft silver maples you are having removed.

Or, if you want a splash of color year round why not go with a crimson maple where the leaves are a deep cabernet red all summer? Crimson King Maple Tree

Ash trees may be another option. They are brilliant in color and among the first to turn in the fall with long lasting color.
Ash Trees | Huge Autumn Purple Ash Trees for Sale

Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Platanus x acerifolia London Plane Tree

Talk with a Arborist to see which cultivar works best in your area. I believe Liberty will be the choice but its best to talk with a local expert.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
I wish that I had a place for Cercidiphyllum japonicum. It has an elegant appearance and is supposed to have scented leaves in the Fall-

Cercidiphyllum japonicum

There's also a weeping variety-

PHS | Gold Medal Plant Award Program

Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I replaced my Silver Maples with an Autumn Blaze maple when I lived in Memphis.
I loved it.
Moderately fast growth, I think it was about 25' tall 10-12 years after I planted a little 3' sapling.
Much sturdier and cleaner than my silver maples ever thought about being. They survived "Hurricane Elvis" and several winter ice storms with no damage.
Great fall color, one of the few trees I saw that consistently turned a bright true red or orange red, instead of the deep maroon red of so many southern trees.
Autumn Blaze Maple Tree

Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
I love the redbud tree for spring color as well as shade.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
How about a sweetgum tree?

Liquidambar styraciflua - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Had two at my last house and loved them! The bark is very interesting; in the fall, the leaves turn different shades of yellow and orange and red, and then there is the fruit - the little spikey balls! When fully mature, they turn brown and fall off the tree. I incorporated them when wrapping packages - adds more interest than merely a bow!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Scarlet Oaks are nice, and should do well in the OP's area.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and to add links, they are much appreciated. I have a lot to think about. With 20 of my 28 acres in open pasture I hope to plant lots more trees as time and money allow.

The goat makes it difficult since he tends to eat anything I plant so I have to build a rather sturdy, large enclosure around each tree. A few years ago I planted two weeping willows down by the creek and he stripped them bare in a week. Bad goat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden