Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 21,916 times

Advertisements

We own a camp in the middle of the Allegheny National Forest. We are up there every weekend and all summer. The soil in as hard as can be and seems like there is alot of clay in it. What is the best idea to get some sort of grass to grow or something else that can take lots of foot traffic. Most of the area gets full sun. I dont want to spend a ton of money on doing this as this is just a camp. I did a sort of raised bed garden in one spot minus the box and it is growing good. When and how would I plant beans? We are in Elk County PA, which is mid north in PA. I also dont know how to find out what to plant when and what would grow in our area. I would like in the future to have dwarf fruit trees too but dont know if they would grow in my area.

I have been reading this site for days now and LOVE IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,367,833 times
The grass you see on a golf green is grown in clay (and needs lots of sun). You don't need to cut it short and I think it will only grow so high anyhow, like 4 or 5 inches. When planting things in clay dig a much bigger hole and fill it with mulch/leaves/pebbles and top soil. Then put your plant in and fill with soil around it.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 AM

30,471 posts, read 16,176,814 times
I'd hesitate to spend money on fruit trees if you're only there on wkends. I think the critters (esp deer) will eat them.

Other than what PeterRabbit said, check with the local cooperative extension office. They can be very helpful.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 AM

955 posts, read 4,086,354 times
There is probably no short cut or cheap way to grow grass in the conditions you describe. If you really want grass, bite the bullet - get a bunch of compost. Spread it several inches thick across the lawn, then rototill it several inches into the existing dirt. Seed, fertilize, and water routinely to get the grass established.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 PM

is there another plant that could be used for ground cover? this area is rather large that needs something other than hard dirt or mud when it rains hard. it would be rather expensive to put that much compost down several inches thick we are talking about a good 1/4 acre or more.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 AM

955 posts, read 4,086,354 times
Some varieties of perenial rye grass are suggested for clay soils. You may want to check with a local extension agent for a recommendation. If you're only there on weekends, it may be difficult to get any kind of lawn established. I'm not sure of any types of ground cover that stand up well to foot traffic so that might not be an option.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM

146 posts, read 296,654 times
Mint! :P (Kidding, but it's been known to grow in clay soils...)

As far as compost... could you afford a thinner layer? I've seen a broadfork used in conjunction with a layer of compost/topsoil to both aerate the underlying clay and provide enough lighter top material for new plants to root. It worked in my neighborhood to transform a baseball field into a productive urban farm (though they also did trench gardening with cardboard and compost in trenches the first year, which helped a great deal). Just aerating and a thin layer of fertilizer might work for you if all you want is grass. Chicken waste is great for the soil, and you could probably get some from local farmers.

Most groundcovers will probably do ok in full sun. It's really a matter of what you want... grass, wildflowers, etc. Native plants of course will be easier than imported varieties. If you want it, you can figure out a way to get it to grow!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,293,416 times
Some of the fescues do well on clay soil here.

The only thing you can really do with clay soil is amend it so the insects and earthworms keep it loosened. However, that isn't going to work for turf. The only other option I can think of is gypsum. I don't know how much it will cost you because pricing varies around the country.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM

thanks for all the suggestions will look into trying to rent a tiller and add in some gypsum or peat moss. We use it every weekend until June then we are up there until September 1st then its back to weekends. So I have alot of time in the summer time to get it going. We arent particular about what it looks like growth like we just want something other than dirt or a mud bog when we get lots of rain like this weekend.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,948,491 times
What else in the area grows as ground cover in mostly sun? Can't be all bare ground every where can it?

Too bad it's all full sun, see my thread here on moss.. I got very good info quickly.

In any case breaking the hard pan will need to happen and a trail made to walk if you want looser soils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden