Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 PM

983 posts, read 2,541,943 times

Advertisements

I thought we can start a thread to collect the address of websites that we go to when we have questions or need clarification on a garden subject. Let's see how many we will have in this thread. I didn't find a good one yet, but I am still looking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM

133 posts, read 626,913 times
Mostly, I just type my question into Google or use Google Images to help identify what insect or disease I'm dealing with.

But, I spend a lot of time here: North Carolina Cooperative Extension: Home

Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,610 times
Excellent plant fact sheets from NCSU

Plant Fact Sheets

Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM

Just found this one. Veggie Gardening Tips

Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,256 times
Florida Ag - EDIS - Electronic Data Information Source - UF/IFAS Extension

Old 05-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Should have thought about this one since I have been watching a lot of videos on it www.youtube.com

Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
People have gardened for centuries without needing websites.

I learn by doing and by talking to people who know more than I do. If I have a question, I ask locally or - if I want a fast answer - I go to the MSU extension page.

Agriculture and Agribusiness | MSU Extension (http://msue.anr.msu.edu/msue/agriculture_and_agribusiness - broken link)

Mostly I prefer networking with neighbors and local nurseries and friends....there are a lot of "micro-climates" where I live and sharing information with people who live right where I do is more valuable than anything.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Dang, every time I have a question I drive over to the local Southern States, and ask the question to one of the employees, they will find someone in the store who knows the answer, this method has not failed me in many years. I have learned a good bit by asking questions and listening to the answers, the trick is knowing who to ask.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
I like the forums at Gardenweb. I used to post a lot on Dave's Garden but now it costs $20 a year to use the forums.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
KC6ZLV I still use all the other stuff on Dave's Garden, although it would be nice to at least read forum posts. I always check to see what kind of reviews garden supply companies get, especially if I am interested in ordering something to plant. Their watchdog reviews and ratings do make a difference. I also love to look up individual plants when I purchase something or plan on a purchase to see if anyone has had issues in my area. I've learned the hard way that some plants can be tame and grow beautifully in one place and be a terribly invasive weed in others, or it can't handle the heat of my summer, or the levels of cold we get in winter. It's great to avoid expensive mistakes if you can benefit from the experience of others.

chiroptera , it would be nice to have such a big network for advice but not everyone knows that many gardeners. Very few people were serious gardeners where I used to live and when I moved here several years ago I knew no one, let alone someone who gardened. In my neighborhood it didn't take long for people to start asking me how to do things, but I still didn't have many that I could ask aside from one of the neighboring farmers. I have since found resources locally, such as a very good Cooperative Extension office, Master Gardeners (I am one now) and some very tiny garden clubs, but the web can easily provide similar help through places like Dave's garden and the Garden web forums. In my neck of the woods both seem to have their place; I found out about swaps and farmer's markets through the web and a fantastic plant sale (a fund raiser) through word of mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden