U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 AM

1,742 posts, read 5,728,420 times

Advertisements

I want to plant some vegetables and fruit, and am new to gardening. I live in West Texas so it is warm mostly year round, dry, windy, and it can snow occasionally. Some things I might be interested in are tomatoes, potatoes, onions, avocados, lemons, apples, watermelon, strawberries, scallions, asparagus, carrots, oranges, etc.

Last edited by The Continental; 05-13-2011 at 08:43 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 AM

468 posts, read 1,461,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I want to plant some vegetables and fruit, and am new to gardening. I live in West Texas so it is warm mostly year round, dry, windy, and it can snow occasionally. Some things I might be interested in are t[SIZE=3]omatoes, potatoes, onions, avocados, lemons, apples, watermelon, strawberries, scallions, asparagus, carrots, oranges, etc.[/SIZE]

The part of Oklahoma that I live in has a climate similar to yours. All of the veggie plants you listed should do very well. The one exception might be the potatoes. Tators like cooler climates (think Idaho). But, it really depends on the type of potato you plant, and the type of soil you use.

If you're going to try them I would suggest a very loose "soil" of saw dust, sand, or even just potting soil mix. Don't plant the "sets" too deep. And, keep the base of the plants covered with wheat straw. Adding more layers as the plant grows.

The watermelons will take up alot of space. The plants produce "runners" which are vines that grow very long. You can keep them trimmed back if needed which will allow more of the energy of the plant to go into growing the watermelon as opposed to growing the runners.

Strawberries grow very fast. They also produce runners. And, everywhere those runners touch the soil it will grow roots and produce another plant. They can be very invasive because of this. Each Spring you can thin out the plants and give them to your neighbors so they can start their own. You can start the strawberries now if you can find some that you like.

It's too late in the season to start growing the other plants now. I would suggest tilling up the spot where you want your garden and putting down some semi-raw (not well composted) manure/straw/sawdust mix. Then just let it sit there and compost until next Spring. When you're ready to plant next Spring just till in the compost really well.

As for the fruit trees I would go with a "dwarf" or "semi-dwarf" variety. They don't grow as large as a normal sized tree, but produce normal sized fruit. They mature quicker and are easier to prune when needed. You can get them planted now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden