Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,630,208 times

Advertisements

Thanks, subject2change. One part sugar to 4 parts water. I didn't know that. That is about what I put in anyways. I have several plants also that attract hummingbirds, one of them being honeysuckle which is right next to the feeder, but they are not in bloom yet. And for the poster who said you do the plants to keep the hummingbirds, I live in zone 5 and there is no way a hummingbird will stay here and freeze.

And for those of you who honestly don't know, dye is not good for anyone, much less birds. Yes, I feed other birds as well here, and in fact, I have a bird sanctuary with hundreds of birds coming here every year to feed and nest. It is really cool, for I am always hanging out the window with my binoculars when I spot a different bird, and then go to my bird reference book to try to ID it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,800,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I've never heard of hummingbirds having problems with dye.

One thing to consider is cane sugar is simply energy and no nutrition. It probably isn't a problem in the warmer months when they feed on plants and insects. But they may want to hang around in the colder months instead of migrating simply because you have a feeder out there.

Planting the right plants will attract more hummingbirds than a feeder. Try planting some salvias, cupheas, zinnias and other things they like.
actually the sugar water in my hummer feeders does not complete their diet. The sugar water is a source of energy for the hummers, their food consists largely of mosquitos and gnats, dye is not a necessary ingredient for their diet. My neighbors complain about mosquitos and gnats, if we have them, we don't see them, hummers bees muh friends. Kinda like, I have three feral cats that camp out at the tree line on the northern end of my clearing. This northern end is where I put my garden. I feed the feral cats, have been doing so for years. I also have at least one family unit of foxes that also camp out somewhere on the northern end of my clearing, I feed the foxes also. The first several years of gardening, I lost a lot of tasty veggies to mice, mole, rabbits,squirrels et al. The last I've heard, foxes and cats, thus far, have not turned vegetarian ....SO....since I have been keeping cats and foxes around I have not lost anything to rodents. Each year the foxes get just a bit more tame. Nowadays, while out working in the garden, sometimes I'll turn around and a fox will be about 15 yards away watching me work. I can get within five feet of some of the feral cats. I consider my relationship with the feral critters as symbiotic.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 05-16-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Dusty, my birds all the way around take care of the insects here on the whole. It is quite the phenomenon because the moment I step on my neighbor's property who decided to flatten all the wild bushes and planted grass, I get bit up terribly. I think my birds are being true and blue to me, because I am the one who feeds them, so they take care of the insects on our property.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM

I just observed the most endearing thing. The male Oriole has been feeding on my hummingbird feeder, not the female. Today, the male brought his mate to the feeder, but she just wasn't too sure about it. He finally got her to fly to the feeder, and she just perched on it, looking at it, and flew off without drinking. I think the male was just fed up, trying to get his mate to partake of a good thing. He flew out of the bushes where he was perched, to a branch above the feeder, just looking down at it until he flew in the direction his mate went. I think she wouldn't drink it was because the sugar water isn't orange, and I don't have any oranges on the feeder. I don't want to the hummingbirds to get thrown for a loop.

I am just going to keep an eye on things, and hope that Mr. Oriole can convince Mrs. Oriole to drink the good stuff. And yes, they are nesting here. Cool beans!

I just fed my cats and as I was doing so, I kept peeking out the window in hopes of seeing the Orioles. And then I started laughing! Here is poor Mr. Oriole who sought out such a beautiful gift to give to Mrs. Oriole, and she ends up sticking her sweet beak up at the gift, and flies off in a huff. Honestly, I think Mr. Oriole just sat above that darn feeder, trying to figure out where he went wrong. LOL Typical female, typical male, even in the bird kingdom! LOL LOL LOL

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 05-16-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 AM

23,314 posts, read 16,998,221 times
A friends neighbor was trying to feel better about his not being able to attract bluebirds by bragging he had hummers coming to his feeder.

I set a trumpet vine in the bluebird lady's yard and sure enough hummers showed up the 2nd year as soon as the blooms popped in June. Bee balm/bergamot/monarda is anothe rfavorite plant as is red honeysuckle vine and a host of other flowers. Cardinal flowers bllom here in August and is another big attractor.

If you can get wild johnny jump ups/ 'touch me nots'/ jewel weed growing in a bog garden you might get some late season hummers. the migrating hummers seem to zero in on established clumps and I suspect they jump from patch to patch on the way south. Seen hummers in Sept in NJ working the jewel weed the deer didn't eat.

Mulberry tree a must for other fruit eating birds.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:12 PM

6,613 posts, read 13,456,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
One thing to consider is cane sugar is simply energy and no nutrition. It probably isn't a problem in the warmer months when they feed on plants and insects. But they may want to hang around in the colder months instead of migrating simply because you have a feeder out there.
Nature is stronger than sugar water. The birds migrate because of a hormonal change caused by short day length. They'll find their natural food source with or without feeders and leave when the time is right so it's alright to leave the feeders out and enjoy them a little longer.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:33 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
BTW if you love hummingbirds, there is a webcam of a hummingbird nest in Irvine, CA that is very cool.

Phoebe Allens WebCam

Phoebe is a non-migratory hummingbird. She has 4-5 broods a year in a rose bush in a man's yard. I've seen the last 3 and it's wonderful. She currently has only one baby, who is due to fledge May 19-26. This will be her last nesting until October so check it out now.
Thanks for the link I have enjoyed it.
Little dude took flight yesterday.

YouTube - ‪Scout Fledges - May 20, 2011‬‏

Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 AM

OH what a wonderful site to have witnessed. A nest in a rose bush of all places! How cool! Thank you so much for sharing this link.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,346,260 times
It's late in the season for her to be starting a new family, but Phoebe has laid another egg!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
It's late in the season for her to be starting a new family, but Phoebe has laid another egg!
Weeeeee! How exciting! I love to hear stories like this one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden