Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times

Advertisements

Someone keeps running over the french drain in my yard. Any ideas on how to protect it other than putting cinder blocks around it? Is there some type of pipe other than PVC that may be used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
There are several new systems of French drains. Here is one featured at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqpf/R-202259347/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 It is not cheap at $47.10 for ten feet. There are also other new systems available.

You state that others drive across your drain. Is it possible to protect the ground over the drain? How deep is the actual drain and how much traffic goes over it?

I have a French drain that goes around my foundation and under my driveway. Knock on wood; it is still functioning after forty years. I have had delivery trucks, backhoes, dump trucks and other heavy equipment in my driveway over the pipes - with no problems to date. I do not know how deep my pipes are - when we bought the property the house was five years old.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
A picture or two would help greatly. Your description leaves out to many variables. If people can run over your french drain it is not installed properly or not the correct application for your needs. Just a guess.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
A picture or two would help greatly. Your description leaves out to many variables. If people can run over your french drain it is not installed properly or not the correct application for your needs. Just a guess.
I'm too lazy to go get pics. It's a drain that empties out on the street. The trash that live next to me keep running it over (I think on purpose) but I can't really prove it.

There is no raised curb so it is easy to do, even by accident (assuming you are the kind of a-hole that can't park).

Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM

I understand. If your too lazy to get pic you might want to pay someone to do this for you.

I believe a round concrete Christy, Brooks or BES box set into the ground around your drain outlet would probably work. You would need to put drain rock around the drain both inside and outside the concrete box and tamp it down. Make sure to set the box and drain level with the ground. Compact the ground under the box and put at least six inches of drain rock under the box as well so it does not sink when the vehicle rolls over the top of it.

If you had pics I could give you much better advice given my many years of installing drain systems in all types of situations. Your choice.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I understand. If your too lazy to get pic you might want to pay someone to do this for you.

I believe a round concrete Christy, Brooks or BES box set into the ground around your drain outlet would probably work. You would need to put drain rock around the drain both inside and outside the concrete box and tamp it down. Make sure to set the box and drain level with the ground. Compact the ground under the box and put at least six inches of drain rock under the box as well so it does not sink when the vehicle rolls over the top of it.

If you had pics I could give you much better advice given my many years of installing drain systems in all types of situations. Your choice.
I guess I am just going to have someone come out and do it. I was just looking for an easy idea. I will also have to have a lot of the pipe replaced since it is crushed now. Probably needs regraded too since I noticed water was stagnating even when it wasn't crushed.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I guess I am just going to have someone come out and do it. I was just looking for an easy idea. I will also have to have a lot of the pipe replaced since it is crushed now. Probably needs regraded too since I noticed water was stagnating even when it wasn't crushed.
"Mans got to know his limitations" -Eastwood

Old 12-12-2011, 12:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
anywhere there is traffic, just stick in a length of non-perfed heavy PVC (schedule 40 or 80) or ABS drain.

or ... slot it (the heavy stuff) with a saw and 'sock' it

You can also get a 'chamber', basically a 1/2 round chunk of corrugated culvert. (Or make your own with a chainsaw / skilsaw, takes about 5 minutes)

When I get sick of folks driving where I don't want them, I stick an ECO block there (~ 4,000# brick of concrete. That stops most of them. (~$25 - $40 at concrete mix plant... they are made from trucks that come home with extra mud).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden