U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 03:00 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,816,327 times

Advertisements

I am building a lenii, a place to 'Be' with several stonewalls, a fire place and under sugar maple trees. The location was a wasteland hole in the gound a few years back. The project is missing the last 'right stone', and I an in want of a ground cover. The area is too tight to mow well, and I had the idea I might gravel the floor area, but then there is this thick moss carpet under the pines, not very far away.

I am wondering if i cut that moss in strips, and rolled it like they fo sod grass for a lawn if it would still stay alive in a new location, under maples intead of pines? I could take soil from user the moss, and assume for the present time that soil is nothing more than a yellow sand.

I just dreamed this idea up about 1 hour ago, and till now was outside.

Seems I am lacking in any and all info on mosses. So I don't know what kind it is. The stull looks like carpet in the woods and is wicked cushy.

Any advice? Books, links? This is a nor' east rain forest area too in NH.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 05-14-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 03:55 PM

25,626 posts, read 34,674,462 times
It should be fine Mac as long as the moss is moist and does not dry out during the transplantation process. If you could take at least 2-3 inches of soil with you during the

transfer it should be fine. I would make sure you prep the heck out of the area to receive the transfer. Also water with a really good liquid fertilizer like miracle grow. Keep

the moss moist 24/7 until it really takes hold. also is there a significant difference in the sun exposure the moss will receive form one area to the other. That could have an

impact as well if the difference is to great. Shaded to full sun for example.

I have planted thousands of flats of moss that comes in big 2x2 squares and is cut to fit the are of planting. Minimal issues. Understanding though this is cultivated moss and not wild.

Good luck and some pictures would be nice.

Try this:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/crypto/

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 05-14-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 04:07 PM

There distance is a few hundered feet. The pines are a left over mistake of man. That are was a 1 mile oval horse race track that went out in 1930. Then it was abandoned. I can only assume nature didn't take it's natural course for the land had been stripped of top soil.

What should have happened was a field should grown up, then alders, quaking aspens and swamp birch should have come up, then the pines should have come in with mixed hard woods, but none of that happened.

Some how white pine and only with pine came in with a smattering of cherry and swamp birch. The pines grew to be over 120 feet tall, and now the areas is either them with the moss, of very over crowded sapling white pine which are mostly dead as 25/30 feet.

Which ever way it goes I will add woods loam and compst loam I make to where I take moss and the assumed yellow sand, and plant sugar maple saplings in a more sunny area once all is said and done.

Here's a pic LOL The driveway you can see was a part of the oval track. We use 3/4ers of that track as a driveway.

The rocks all came from the garden, which has 0 soil too. I made all the soil there myself.

Another view 180 out from the first.

It's come a way since then. This as I said in post 1 has been a 5 years on going project. These shots are not recent.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Should be very nice to sit and have a drink after its done. Or hell start drinking now!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Just fer grins, I am standing in the garden! LOL If you don't see one, it's because it ain't there yet!
That race track I keep tawkin about is to the left of the barn.

There is a lot of time and space before it got to be like this and this is dated as well. But I can only water so much area, and so it looks like until I figure out something more on watering I am stuck with this as apx 60 x 90 in this area. Again now that race track is on the right, and goes into the black hole behind the truck.

Whats past the black hole is this monster who lives there

I found it collecting sugar buckets in 2010.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Nice. Damn the ghosts of the forest are huge.

Anywho nice garden there Mac.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM

That green patch is strawberries, no longer in that location. They were moved to a single file line down the right side as you view the soils now, and 1/2 of them went between the tent green house and the behind the beech tree in view.

Everything you see was hand dug pretty much. The Bob Cat is only so good with no tiller.

Last Fall I think it was, I traded a single shot .22 for a tiller not running. So everything at that point changed. The tiller is a bear to steer, and so I till the long way starting now. The garden has been tilled 3 times so far, and that 3rd time was the last to get in over winters compost, so much as will be added for now. That was about 12 cubic yards and I have another about that much to go, but not till the corn pops out it's 2ns roots.

Some may hot bed the squashes though. I got a few corn rows to how up yet, but the lenaii area needed this time too. There is a really big stone wall as of today on the lower end. Big stone, really big single stones I can't move myself, but the bob cat can just barely.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:18 PM

I really like the way you wove branches together for the fence. I love that rustic look. Reminds me of helping my uncle building fence lines for his cattle when I was a teen.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Cheap is my middle name man

Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,387,004 times
I enjoyed the pictures too. It looks like a lot of work. It's amazing how long the track has lasted and kept mother nature at bay. The picture of your monster isn't quite clear... moose or elk??

I don't have too much experience with moss except for when people ask to get rid of it! I was curious about the idea of transplanting and did a little looking around on the subject and it turns out there are companies that specialize in moss and moss transplanting. Who knew? So I guess if moss can survive shipping and be planted there should be no reason for you to not be able to transplant some to your Lanai.

This seemed to be pretty informative: Moss Acres: Technical Questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden