Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times

Advertisements

We bought a new home last September and it was a new construction. The HOA rules required there to be 2 trees in the front yard at the time, and the builder put in an aristocrat pear and a live oak. We decided we did not want the pear tree and our neighbor actually wanted it so we had it moved to their yard. Then we found out that last month the HOA changed the rule on front yards to their only being 1 tree necessary. We were originally planning to replace the pear tree, but now we are considering just keeping one tree.

Here is my question. We have a live oak already planted and if we do put another tree in, it will be about 12-14 feet away from the live oak as the front yard is not very big. Is that too close together to plant larger trees? We had considered adding a cedar elm where the pear tree was, or a red oak. But my concern is that with them being that close, the roots will be competing and the trees will not grow as big or as fast and will kind of crowd each other too much. I don't know if proper pruning and shaping would eliminate that as an issue or not.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,326 times
Live oak is a tree that over time will get quite large. Doesn't seem like a great choice for a small yard anyway but that being said I'd guess yours isn't too big now. If it were me, I'd pass on adding another tree with that one already in place. Be careful also on any tree you have now or in the future doing damage to the foundation or to pipes if it happens to be one that would get into your sewer pipes.

Live oak

Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Based on the dimensions posted sounds like one tree is the best.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Agree with both of the above.

Live Oaks get HUGE, but we'll all probably be dead before the tree is covering the house. You find tall, spindly oak trees in pine forests. I think they "reach" when they have competition and form a dense, broad canopy when they are the big fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden