Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 PM

288 posts, read 717,187 times

Advertisements

About three years ago a Live Oak in my background had its leaves turn all brown, and one-half of a tree this happened to as well. I had a tree guy come and take a look and he said it was NOT oak wilt. I saved half of the one tree. This happened in March of 2008.

It's March again and now the leaves on the three remaining Live Oaks are all turning brown. I do not have any service such as Scott's Lawn. I do not put weed killer down in seed form. However, last year I sprayed carefully on the grass areas with a weed killer and avoided the trees entirely so I don't think I caused this.

I have no idea why the trees would do this. No one goes back there. The lawn is mowed regularly during the summer.

And so, Live Oaks, leaves turning brown for no apparent reason.

I watered them a few days ago. Should I put down tree fertilizer?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
You haven't given us much to go on--we have no pics and we don't know where you are.

But I'll give it a shot.

Live oaks are evergreen, they are not deciduous trees which drop their leaves for winter. But evergreeen does not mean 'ever green'.

Many non-deciduous broadleaf evergreens shed spent leaves in the spring and quickly replace the old shedded leaves with new leaves.

I'm guessing you're in the south and that your live oak is a southern live oak or Quercus virginiana.

In which case worry not, after it has finished dropping the old worn leaves in spring it will put out shiny new ones straight away and will be fine.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 AM

288 posts, read 717,187 times
Default Thanks!

This is exactly what happened! Lots of new leaves sprouted and all is well.

It appears that this new sprouting occurs ever few years perhaps.

I was also happy to see all of the oaks and other trees in the far backyard area have sprouted as well.

I didn't get notification on this thread so I am just seeing this now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden