Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Last summer I bought a house on a third of an acre, and since have been told it was the original site for one of the oldest known farms in the region.

I've just started planting and growing things here...weeds and wild plants are lush as anything, the soil is dark and friable and there are about 1,000 earthworms per square inch.

I know earthworms are good for soil, but does the presence of them indicate good soil, or is that an old wive's tale?
As you can see from the answers it means good soil and getting better, so it isn't an old wives' tale. They prefer places where there is organic matter and turn that organic matter into the nutrients plants take up and need to be healthy. They are important in the physical aeration of the soil, as well as the release of nutrients. Generally speaking, the more worms the better the soil is for gardens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was once teaching a perennial class at The Atlanta Botanical Gardens. I knew it had a few beginners but was shocked when a woman raised her hand and asked "How can I get those awful worms out of my soil?"

The entire room went silent and I managed to regain my composure and tell her most of us would be envious of her wormy soil. She was very surprised. I congratulated her on trying to learn as much as she could about gardening and she would soon learn to love her worms.
That must have been an interesting class and a great answer! I've had similar but not quite as public questions about the "icky stuff" of gardening when people want to know how to do gardening. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I was just doing some wordplay. Sick is slang for really really good, but also has the standard definition, and the word love has multiple meanings as well. Hint - in one definition I was not going for the agape version... and... some people eat worms and seem to love them.

Eating worms is good for you | Mail Online
BBC - h2g2 - Eating Insects and Grubs

So, to translate my entire post:
It is a really good thing that you have abundant worms. That means your soil is rich and has not been doused with pesticides. Although some very strange people get sexual kicks out of earthworms, did you know that they can also be eaten? (Can you tell I read up once on how to raise red wigglers for fun and profit? )

Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
So, to translate my entire post:
It is a really good thing that you have abundant worms. That means your soil is rich and has not been doused with pesticides. Although some very strange people get sexual kicks out of earthworms, did you know that they can also be eaten? (Can you tell I read up once on how to raise red wigglers for fun and profit? )
Yeah, yeah, yeah.. .But Harry...

Why don't you tell us what you are REALLY saying?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah.. .But Harry...

Why don't you tell us what you are REALLY saying?
Simple - you probably wouldn't understand!

(My mind does work quite a bit differently than those of most folks, as you may have surmised. I had an entire packed moviehouse audience squirming madly to get away from me during "Bowling For Columbine." They were all fearful and horrified when an actor dressed as a gang member kept pulling weapons out of his clothing. I, on the other hand, was hysterical with laughter because #1, if he had been carrying that much firepower he wouldn't be able to move more than 100 yards without something falling out or his pants falling down or his becoming so tired he couldn't move, and #2 Moore was being his usual buffoon self and overstating his point to where his dramatic scene looked exactly like a scene from a Roadrunner/Wiley Coyote cartoon. I really do see and parse stuff very quickly and then play around with logical and illogical extensions of that.)

Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
I think Harry is secretely hinting he has sex with wormies!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 AM

I wish. We have clay here that regularly turns to pottery midsummer, once all the frost aeration and moisture have gone. I think I need to visit Arrakis... no, come to think of it, those stayed in desert sands.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Harry, I understand. Remember the movie Bananas? In one scene Woody Allen is in a wheel chair running into people, over their feet, etc.

I was laughing at it like a madman - the only one in the entire theater. Some people just seem to miss what I find hilarious.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I wish. We have clay here that regularly turns to pottery midsummer, once all the frost aeration and moisture have gone. I think I need to visit Arrakis... no, come to think of it, those stayed in desert sands.
Yeah, and ate people!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Yeah, but only STUPID people... BTW, the book is MUCH better than either of the adaptations.

For those who are going "Huh?" We're talking about Frank Herbert's novel "Dune" and sandworms. Herbert was a really really smart sci-fi writer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden