Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,663,113 times

Advertisements

i have a couple of small (green) tomatoes on the worst plant. thinking of cutting off the parts that look bad and seeing if that help. otherwise i very well may have to grab some new plants.

Also going to plant some more cucumber seeds and see how they do....sigh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 AM

983 posts, read 2,533,036 times
yeah, my squash and cucks are not happy, the leaves turned yellow and no significant growth since I planted them more than 3 weeks ago. I am still learning all this and enjoying it, I just hope I don't kill any of them.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 AM

while im thinking of it, im going to go trim them now..sigh...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,819,961 times
Beats me, I got both my cukes and tomatos in early, I have small (6 inch) cukes now and a whole lot of softball sized green tomatos that are starting to turn yellow (they do this before they turn red), I have 2, 80ft rows of tomatos, three varieties, celebrity, better boy, and Cherokee Purple.......OK, 4 varieties, my wife made me plant some salad tomatos, 2 plants, golf ball sized things they will be when ripe. My sunflowers (very back of garden) are over 6'tall. My first planting of corn is 5 ft tall, second planting is 3 ft tall , third planting about a foot, each planting is one 80 ft row. 4th planting hasn't come out of the ground yet. Cantalope has flowers, watermelon vines are spreading out, but no flowers yet. red lettuce, romaine lettuce and buttercrunch lettuce have been contributing to our salads for over a month, Broccoli is doing fine, cut off the main head when it got the size of a volleyball, now cutting individual shoots, brussel sprouts are starting to send up their main trunk, yellow, green and red bell peppers are showing up as are poblanos, jalapenos and those small Asian peppers are in flower. Dang!!! I am lookin' forward to starting on my all Tomato Sandwich diet!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I went out and bought more tomatoes and more squash and planted them over the weekend. I decided if one of the ones I planted earlier died then I have a back up plan. Go get some new ones, Lowe's has a fresh batch of veggies that you can pick from, I got 4 more just in case :-)
I don't mean to give anyone a plug, BUT, Lowes is not the best place to pick up plants for your veggie garden. You are in, N.C., go to Southern States, it is an agricultural co-op, they can answer any and all questions, nicely and have healthier plants. They can also help you out with advice for fertilizers and/or soil additives that are region specific. Joining the co-op is easy, just start shopping there. This is where most big time farmers in this area go for supplies, they also are very helpful with gardeners, edible crop, flowers, landscaping.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 PM

19,158 posts, read 16,557,953 times
I live in tomato country and I haven't even been able to plant. It's been too cold. I usually put a couple of plants in at the beginning of May and here it is, June 1st, and today's high was 67 and we had tornadoes touch down in the northern part of our state. We're not supposed to get tornadoes ... earthquakes, yes but no tornadoes. This weather is just plain nuts!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 PM

One other little thing, water your plants at dusk, never in the heat of the day.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM

45,062 posts, read 60,120,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
One other little thing, water your plants at dusk, never in the heat of the day.

And others will say to water early in the morning because watering at dusk allows mildew to form when the water doesn't completely dry on the leaves.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And others will say to water early in the morning because watering at dusk allows mildew to form when the water doesn't completely dry on the leaves.
ive heard both. personally, i water in the early morning, cause thats how my papa does it (LOL) and he has the greenest thumb of anyone ive ever known! Speaking of, he stopped by today to fix my kitchen sink and looked at the tomato and was clueless- thought maybe some sort of wilt possibly, but really wasnt sure on that. regardless, he said hell bring me some new tomato plants next week when he comes by LOL. gotta love a grandpa! He doesnt garden much anymore, just cant keep up with anything more than potted herbs now days, but thoroughly examines everything i do in mine! LOL

Old 06-03-2011, 03:23 PM

45,062 posts, read 60,120,172 times
I water in the morning also, unless we have a real hot and dry spell like we did here this week. Then an afternoon drink is in order.

Don't you know that inspections are what we fathers do best? I critiqued my oldest daughter's garden at her new house this past weekend. Of course, I then split a 1/2 cord of wood for her by hand a little bit later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden