Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,056,742 times

Advertisements

In my case, it is entirely my yard - nothing ventures near his property.

They block his view of distant mountains and are located quite a bit away from his home.

He's literally that loony. These things have been here for maybe hundreds of years, if anyone knows about the durability and longevity of oak trees. The tree is also an evergreen and never loses its leaves, so it's not as if he ever has to clean up after it for existing. He just wanted a different view in the distance. =/

Best of all, my wife is an attorney. I'm not sure he thought out his plan thoroughly. But, it's really hard to celebrate, you know? It's difficult to swallow when a tree is maimed in such a manner for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,963,321 times
I've got an issue going on in which I have a real jerk of a neighbor moving in. He has so far built up our common wall without my permission, thrown sharp objects over the fence in my dogs' yard, and today I discovered my bubblers off and half my bush is dead outside. Good thing he didn't kill off my Eucalyptus tree (yet).

Well, since he has chosen to build a window that looks RIGHT BACK into my backyard, I bougt a pine tree to block it. My only concern now is that he might poison my trees. So now I am forced to buy cameras. What a mess.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,909,721 times
what is sad here is that we apparently can't even talk to our neighbors. the poisoner was obviously upset by the tree but apparently felt as though he couldn't talk to his neighbor about it. if the roots are causing problems, get together with the neighbor and work something out.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
what is sad here is that we apparently can't even talk to our neighbors. the poisoner was obviously upset by the tree but apparently felt as though he couldn't talk to his neighbor about it. if the roots are causing problems, get together with the neighbor and work something out.
In this day and age at times it's impossible. I offered to work with my neighbor and he refuses and there is no communication. Plus, after he threw a lot of very dangerous and rusted pieces of metal in my dogs' yard I don't want to talk to him either. He is obviously a real piece of work and I checked him out on the Net - several IRS tax liens, on his third marriage, another company lien. All in all, no one I want anything to do with. It's amazing what you can find out on the Net.

I also found several hits of people ASKING how to poison their neighbors' trees without getting caught, so this is what our world has come to.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,909,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
In this day and age at times it's impossible. I offered to work with my neighbor and he refuses and there is no communication. .
No doubt, but a good faith effort still needs to be made before resorting to poisoning and lawyering-up.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 AM

433 posts, read 1,138,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
The neighbor who poisoned the tree should pay for it to be removed correctly. Such a shame.
He should also have to pay to put in a new tree the size of the one he killed. Trees are expensive.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
No doubt, but a good faith effort still needs to be made before resorting to poisoning and lawyering-up.
Not really. So far he's done too much. I'll install some rotating (fake) cameras and maybe just hire a lawyer to write him a letter stating that there have been several issues and if my plants or trees die, we know who did it.

I've had to contact the city, the police, so it's beyond the point of "good faith" at this point.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 PM

24,334 posts, read 22,881,617 times
A lot of home owners just can't handle the social requirements of being neighbors or owning property. They complain about trees leaves falling on their property, worry about roots clogging failing drains so they go after trees not being able to understand that the tree usually increases the value of their property. It cuts down on heating bills and acts as a sound barrier.
I won't even get into the problems they have about parking spaces or making noise or controlling their kids. Owning property does not give you the right to do as you please and force others to put up with your behavior. Buy a cave if thats what you want, you'll be mroe comfortable and people won't have to deal with you.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,381,519 times
Thumbs down Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Or were the tree branches growing over the property line onto their side of the yard. If so it is pretty universal that that neighbor can trim the tree branches back to the property line. In some cases in doing so if it kills the tree then they have to make restitution.
If any neighbor wishes to have branches 'trimmed back' past their property line, they are required to request that the 'tree owner' either do it themselves or have it professionally done PRIOR to hacking the branches off themselves. Neighbors are such a PITA...I'm glad I no longer have any.
Koale

Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,332,580 times
If your tree trespasses on your neighbor's property and you do nothing about it and he poisons and kills the tree, GOOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden