Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:02 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

When a beloved tree you've planted in your backyard starts to die, it's a shame. When your neighbor is accused of poisoning the tree, it's just wrong.

A tearful south side woman called police on Wednesday because a cottonwood tree she planted about a decade ago in her South Shore Drive backyard was dying, and she had suspicions about her next door neighbor possibly having something to do with it.

Man accused of poisoning neighbor's tree through root on his property
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Happens more than most people realize.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
That is a shame. But just like the previous poster, probably not so out of the ordinary.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Happens more than most people realize.
Remember this outrageous example?

Auburn tree-killing the talk of Alabama *| ajc.com

Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
The neighbor who poisoned the tree should pay for it to be removed correctly. Such a shame.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:10 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
I'm currently in an unfortunate dispute with my next door neighbor that hired a landscaping company to take down a hundreds-year old Blue Oak Tree in my backyard on two occasions.

I just happened to have been home both times and was able to stop the killing but not before about 15-20% of the tree (healthy) was hacked.

I now completely understand the kind of distress that this type of maliciousness can cause a homeowner. Every time I hear loud machinery, I run to the window thinking someone is coming for the rest of it.

It's ultimately one of the most disappointing things that's ever happened to me. Forget that it was my property and not his - it's a living tree where wildlife live, etc. Just no respect for mother Earth.

Best, the neighbor never apologized and said it was because he wanted a view of the mountains behind my tree. In California, we have a civil code that says that a malicious cutting of someone else's tree without authorization can be sued for 3x the worth of the tree in court.

Good luck to this woman. I hope her neighbor has to pay for the damage.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I'm currently in an unfortunate dispute with my next door neighbor that hired a landscaping company to take down a hundreds-year old Blue Oak Tree in my backyard on two occasions.

I just happened to have been home both times and was able to stop the killing but not before about 15-20% of the tree (healthy) was hacked.

I now completely understand the kind of distress that this type of maliciousness can cause a homeowner. Every time I hear loud machinery, I run to the window thinking someone is coming for the rest of it.

It's ultimately one of the most disappointing things that's ever happened to me. Forget that it was my property and not his - it's a living tree where wildlife live, etc. Just no respect for mother Earth.

Best, the neighbor never apologized and said it was because he wanted a view of the mountains behind my tree. In California, we have a civil code that says that a malicious cutting of someone else's tree without authorization can be sued for 3x the worth of the tree in court.

WHOA! I'm having trouble with this!

Your neighbor TRESPASSED on your property to do this? And the landscaping company he hired didn't verify it was on HIS property?

I think you have a nice little lawsuit to win there, in addition to pressing charges against your neighbor with the police. It won't restore what you lost (especially your freaking peace of mind!) and the feud will be out in the open for good but, holy crap, what if the neighbor decides SOMETHING ELSE ON YOUR PROPERTY offends him?

I would be after that guy and the landscape company with both guns blazing -- figuratively speaking, of course.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:45 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Or were the tree branches growing over the property line onto their side of the yard. If so it is pretty universal that that neighbor can trim the tree branches back to the property line. In some cases in doing so if it kills the tree then they have to make restitution.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Remember this outrageous example?

Auburn tree-killing the talk of Alabama *| ajc.com

Yes I remember that incident. It was a shame. Being a landscaper I understand trees are just over grown bushes but purposely destroying specimen trees for no good reason is a waste and criminal in some cases.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post

Unfortunately I have been on both sides of this issue. Some people use their trees and plants as weapons to annoy neighbors by letting them get to large causing damage or just being a nuisance by blotting out the sun and creating huge messes for neighbors. In my business I see about one of these types of disputes every week. Over the years I have read news stories of people being shot and killed over incidents such as this. Just sad.

Billionaire Larry Ellison Settles Tree Lawsuit | Lawinfo Weblog (http://blog.lawinfo.com/2011/06/02/billionaire-larry-ellison-settles-tree-lawsuit/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden