Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 PM

137 posts, read 306,320 times

Advertisements

The house was built within the last ten years (2006). Does that matter at all?

The water spreads over one section of the yard and now that he dug the big hole by the fence, it does an ok job of catching it (but he has to pail it out 2x a day, so it doesn't overflow onto the grass again, causing the sopping wet conditions). After 3 weeks and the hole, the grass is just starting to dry out a little bit but the area looks a big mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmom2 View Post
The house was built within the last ten years (2006). Does that matter at all?

The water spreads over one section of the yard and now that he dug the big hole by the fence, it does an ok job of catching it (but he has to pail it out 2x a day, so it doesn't overflow onto the grass again, causing the sopping wet conditions). After 3 weeks and the hole, the grass is just starting to dry out a little bit but the area looks a big mess.
Yes the developer could have some culpability in your state.

See if you can get your hands on one of these.

http://city.ci.st-helena.ca.us/image...ic%20Study.pdf

Also since it sounds like you have a localized area that the water collects in, a drain from the area to collect and carry the water away sounds feasible. Pictures would be a big help.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 PM

137 posts, read 306,320 times
Here is a photo of the area. The picture was taken with my iphone and is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Backyard Drainage Issue--Need Advice-water.jpg  

Last edited by laxmom2; 06-09-2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmom2 View Post
Here is a photo of the area. The picture was taken with my iphone and is upside down.
Definitely does not look good. If it were me I would install a drainage system to carry away the water. Here is a good place to start looking at different types of systems. I utilize NDS and ADS for most of the landscape drainage needs of my clients.

Stormwater Management - Efficient Irrigation - Flow Management

Drain Basins – ADS Pipe

Old 09-01-2014, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
I moved into my present property in 2003, and had a similar problem with poor surface water drainage.

My solution. I dug several trenches by hand about 300 feet draining out into the storm sewer. The trench was about 18 inches deep and about 12 inches wide. I put gravel in the bottom and laid 5 inch diameter plastic weeping tile on top and covered with more gravel then returned the sod. The yard is now perfect with regards to drainage.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Interesting-whether it is surface water or ground water, a french drain will allow it drain out where it won't do any damage. You may be near or on top of an aquifer?
A couple of thoughts and ideas to try- Provided this area isn't near any water lines, plant a water loving tree (away from the house of course) to help "dispose" of some of the water, and consider a rain garden- an area filled with gravel/drainage material and plants that do well in wet conditions. Both will help you manage the situation.
If you are in an area with a high water table, this situation might be more prevalent at certain times of the year. How close to your house is this wet area and is your basement staying dry?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Another thought, has there been any new sidewalks, additions or alterations of any kind in that neighboring property that may have rerouted the drainage? We have installed French drains here because the ground was always soggy and they did make it 99% better but it still takes a while to drain with the clay soil.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:22 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Yes, if drains aren't an option, also look into a rain garden. I'm looking into that, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden